HtF 23 @ Lafayette Library - Saturday, February 23, 2019

oguzman

Dec 20, 2018, 8:34:54 PM12/20/18
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
I'd like to start a new thread that allows for discussion and organization of the upcoming Hack the Future 23 event at the Lafayette Library & Learning Center - Located in Contra Costa County.

What: Hack the Future 23
Event Date: Saturday, February 23rd - 10am-4pm  -- Setup begins 8am & Break down is 4pm-5pm

Previous Mentors, please post here if you:

1. Will be attending (list your preferred mentor station)

2. Like to attend, but still don't know what your February calendar looks like.

3. Can't attend this time, but you can provide production support prior to the event.
(please let me know what station you mentored previously and whether you would recommend we do it again)

New / Interested in Mentoring Post:

1. Interested in mentoring at this and future events, please list what you'd be interested in mentoring and what your related experience is.

Thank you for your interest.

mlmiller

Jan 25, 2019, 3:36:48 PM1/25/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
I will attend. I will bring micro:bits and laptops.
I anticipate covering block-based coding including micro:bit, scratch, and Snap!
I can also cover Python if there isn't a table for that.
The main needs are electrical power at our table and good WiFi.

a...@alcorn.tv

Jan 25, 2019, 4:35:38 PM1/25/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
I plan to attend and will captain the soldering table.  I will need another mentor to help at the table as you never want to leave a hot soldering iron alone.  No previous experience required.

lafayette library staff

Jan 25, 2019, 4:58:25 PM1/25/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Mr. Alcorn,

Thank you!

Looking forward to meeting you and thanking you in person for being you!  I am a former video game producer for Electronic Arts and big fan of the early work you did for the industry!

Alex Peake

Jan 25, 2019, 5:04:10 PM1/25/19
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Alex from Unityversity.com here,

I will be attending and teaching Unity with some spiffy new VRTK game development tutorials we tested first at a HTF.

I'll be bringing some more student-friendly Windows MR headsets and if anyone has extra VR headsets of MR, Vive or Oculus variety I would appreciate it if you could bring them.

If any other Unity mentors want to learn the VR stuff beforehand, shoot me an email and try to make it to Noisebridge on a Tuesday at 7PM where we teach weekly.

lafayette library staff

Jan 26, 2019, 6:50:24 PM1/26/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Thanks Alex,

Get yourself set up on slack (https://hack-the-future.slack.com) where we'll be working out all the last minute details.  Looking forward to having Unity being part of this and meeting / talking with you. I will also hopefully have an Oculus rig setup for VR demos.  Our county has a couple for technology demos / programs and I've requested it for that day.

Thanks,

Alex Peake

Jan 27, 2019, 8:45:23 AM1/27/19
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I think I need a slack invite sent to empower...@gmail.com to sign up there.

An Oculus will be most helpful.

Alex Peake

empower...@gmail.com

dcbri...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2019, 4:45:18 PM1/30/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Hi all. I’ve started the new mentor signup sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o5llKGmDShWTRIGChezIUZ254ldeSmAtKoJ-8UH3jt4/edit?usp=sharing

I’ll add those of you who have replied here.

dcbri...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 10:35:24 PM2/22/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Mentors: Hack the Future is tomorrow!

Please arrive at 8:30am to help set up the venue and stations. We'll have coffee (and possibly bagels or the like).

T-shirts: If you have mentored in the past, come wearing your blue mentor T-shirt. New mentors, we'll have some new shirts for you.

Mentor code of conduct: If you have not mentored at HtF before or are unsure if you have ever filled out the mentor code of conduct form, please click here and fill it out online.

Equipment: Please bring power strips if you have them. We don’t know the capacity of the Wi-Fi in our room, so you might bring your own cellular- or LAN cord–based hotspot or switch, if your activity requires LAN or Internet access. The Wi-Fi access point does not appear to allow pings within the LAN. There are RJ-45 (Ethernet) jacks in the walls, but we discovered them just today and haven’t checked to see if they are connected to anything useful.

All mentors, just like the students you'll be better off if you bring your own laptop. If you have a spare you can loan to a student, that’d go a long way and be appreciated!

Table Captains: Is everything ready to go on your end?

Water Bottles - We are asking everyone one to bring their own reusable water bottle. Please help us to be green!

Help wanted: If at the last minute you come across someone else interested in volunteering, please bring them along!

Thanks to Dawn Murakami for the format of this message.

dcbri...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 10:47:18 PM2/23/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group

dcbri...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2019, 3:22:48 AM2/24/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
My sister Kathy’s photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcbriccetti/sets/72157689946018803/
She got some great shots, don’t you think?

Jonathan Hull

Feb 24, 2019, 3:42:28 AM2/24/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Some really great shots!

On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:22 AM, dcbri...@gmail.com wrote:

My sister Kathy’s photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcbriccetti/sets/72157689946018803/
She got some great shots, don’t you think?

Nick Duguid

Feb 24, 2019, 11:40:46 AM2/24/19
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
These are marvelous! Please pass along my appreciation to your sister. We’d love to have her at future events if she’s available/interested.

-Nick

dcbri...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2019, 3:44:31 PM2/24/19
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
A big thanks to Orlando Guzman, his boss Vickie Sciacca, and the Lafayette Library and Learning Center, which, in addition to providing the space, is paying for the pizza, snacks and drinks. Lovely members of the National Charity League home-baked us dozens of cookies.

Mark L. Miller Ph.D.

Feb 24, 2019, 4:18:56 PM2/24/19
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks!
(How did I possibly miss the cookies?!?! They must not have lasted long!)

On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:44 PM, dcbri...@gmail.com wrote:

A big thanks to Orlando Guzman, his boss Vickie Sciacca, and the Lafayette Library and Learning Center, which, in addition to providing the space, is paying for the pizza, snacks and drinks. Lovely members of the National Charity League home-baked us dozens of cookies.

Mark L. Miller, Ph.D.

Nick Duguid

Feb 24, 2019, 9:33:52 PM2/24/19
to dcbri...@gmail.com, htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Hear Hear! I love all of our venues, but I felt more love and support yesterday from the Lafayette Library folks than I have at most of our previous events.  Very much appreciated all of their help and generosity!

Orlando, I hope we will see you at some of our future events as well!

Also wanted to call out Josephine, who is a parent that brought her kids to the last event, and when she showed up to sign them in yesterday, volunteered on the spot to help us out, and did a fab job helping me do checkins in the morning, and managing the Pizza line, and probably other things I didn't see.

Thanks everyone!
-Nick

Feb 21, 2020, 9:13:06 PM2/21/20
to Mark Miller, j...@talknicer.com, Bryan Pelham, jose...@gmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, flavia...@gmail.com, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, nik...@hotmail.com, aary...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, Tim O'Brien, emilioj...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, Tam Nguyen, Kent Williams, h...@stratlabs.com, Andy Qui Le, schmid...@gmail.com, Stacie Hibino, Ramesh Sampath, Steve....@vw.com, gop...@gmail.com, Nick Duguid, ethom...@smcoe.org, caitlin...@gmail.com, jedd...@gmail.com, Joe Mathes, hoka...@sccl.org, Jim Whitfield, xinwei...@gmail.com, rpol...@outlook.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, Vaganov Michael, Emily Ramos, Jessica Song, Kenny Spade, Jonathan Hull, Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Hi Mentors,

Hack the Future 25 is tomorrow! Please arrive by 8:30am at The Tech Interactive, 201 S Market St, San Jose, 95113. Once you get inside, let them know you are from Hack the Future so you can get checked in and directed to New Venture Hall.

If your plans have changed or you plan on arriving later in the day, no problem. So far I know that Gopi for one won't be able to make it until the afternoon.

If you find yourself lost, call me at (609) 865-6725.

Stations & Captains
Your tentative station assignments are in the spreadsheet. Captains, please ensure everything you need for your station is in order, and reach out to your fellow station mentors as needed. If you'd like to swap roles, just let me know. If you want to do a co-captain setup that works too, just know now you'll both be on the hook from me.

Equipment and Supplies: So far I'm recalling:
Joe: Two HDMI monitors with power cords and HDMI cables, 150+ paper plates, boxes containing all our files, power strips, and other supplies dropped off after HtF24
Nick: Boxes of HtF25 kids shirts from CustomInk, additional waiver printouts, four soldering irons from Kenny
Mark Miller: 15 micro:bits for lightning talk prizes giveaways, loaner laptops
Emily: Everything from Costco run
Jim Whitfield: Arduino supplies, HDMI monitors with power cables from Kenny
Stacie & Mark Schmidt: solder, clippers, 50 Flickery Flame Kits, additional soldering irons unless the four with Nick are sufficient?
Hal: Chessboards
Tim: DJI Robomaster?
Bryan: Raspberry Pi's and various peripherals
me: 8 Raspberry Pi Zero W for lightning talk prizes, more Raspberry Pi's and various peripherals.
Anyone: Anyone bringing 3D Printers?
Everyone: Just like the students you'll be better off if you bring your own laptop. If you have a spare you can loan to a student, that’d go a long way and be appreciated!

Let me know if anything's missing.

We're estimating less than 90 kids instead of the original target 100, so we may have extra micro:bits, Raspberry Pi W's, and Flickery Flame Kits at the end. We'll just plan to roll these supplies over to HtF26.

T-shirts: If you have mentored in the past, please come wearing your blue mentor T-shirt. Unfortunately it turns out only about a third of you reported already having mentor shirts, and I did not realize our mentor shirt supply had run out. For this event we'll have the fezzes and blue tags for you instead, and hope to get the rest of you your due T-shirts at HtF26.

Mentor code of conduct: If you have not mentored at HtF before or are unsure if you have ever filled out the mentor code of conduct form, please click here and fill it out online.

Water Bottles: Please bring your own to be green.

Parking:  The Tech has a parking map here. Your main choices are:
* San Jose McEnery Convention Center (150 W San Carlos St, Garage entrance on Almaden Boulevard between San Carlos and Balbach streets.); or
* 2nd and San Carlos Garage (280 S. 2nd St.)
The Tech will validate parking for either to make it $5 for the day. Longtime HtF volunteers may remember Flames Coffee Shop also validated parking, but they have since closed down.

Help wanted: If at the last minute you come across someone else interested in volunteering, please bring them along! Any questions, reply here.

Ramesh Sampath

Feb 21, 2020, 11:04:18 PM2/21/20
to Emily Thomforde, James Donald, Mark Miller, j...@talknicer.com, Bryan Pelham, jose...@gmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, flavia...@gmail.com, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, nik...@hotmail.com, aary...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, Tim O'Brien, emilioj...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, Tam Nguyen, Kent Williams, h...@stratlabs.com, Andy Qui Le, schmid...@gmail.com, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, gop...@gmail.com, Nick Duguid, caitlin...@gmail.com, jedd...@gmail.com, Joe Mathes, hoka...@sccl.org, Jim Whitfield, xinwei...@gmail.com, rpol...@outlook.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, Vaganov Michael, Emily Ramos, Jessica Song, Kenny Spade, Jonathan Hull, Hack the Future Volunteer Group
I will be at the python table. But need to leave around 2:30-3pm in the afternoon. If someone can help last couple of hours for Python it would be super helpful.

Ramesh Sampath

On Feb 21, 2020, at 7:21 PM, Emily Thomforde <ethom...@smcoe.org> wrote:

I won't be able to arrive before 9:15.
Emily

_____________________
Computer Science News: February 21, 2020
🍰 Join us on Wednesday, February 26 for the next Computer Science Community of Practice
📆 Save the date: June 25, 2020 will be SMCOE's first CS Summit!
💻 Keep up with all the CS News at bit.ly/csatsmc.
_____________________
Dr. Emily Thomforde
Computer Science Coordinator
San Mateo County Office of Education

Emily Ramos

Feb 22, 2020, 3:23:12 AM2/22/20
to Ramesh Sampath, Emily Thomforde, James Donald, Mark Miller, j...@talknicer.com, Bryan Pelham, jose...@gmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, flavia...@gmail.com, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, nik...@hotmail.com, aary...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, Tim O'Brien, emilioj...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, Tam Nguyen, Kent Williams, h...@stratlabs.com, Andy Qui Le, schmid...@gmail.com, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, gop...@gmail.com, Nick Duguid, caitlin...@gmail.com, jedd...@gmail.com, Joe Mathes, hoka...@sccl.org, Jim Whitfield, xinwei...@gmail.com, rpol...@outlook.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, Vaganov Michael, Jessica Song, Kenny Spade, Jonathan Hull, Hack the Future Volunteer Group
I'll be there at 8:30am with Costco run stuff!

James Donald

Feb 22, 2020, 11:14:16 AM2/22/20
to Emily Ramos, Andy Qui Le, Bryan Pelham, Emily Thomforde, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Jessica Song, Jim Whitfield, Joe Mathes, Jonathan Hull, Kenny Spade, Kent Williams, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, Mark Miller, Nick Duguid, Ramesh Sampath, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, Tam Nguyen, Tim O'Brien, Vaganov Michael, aary...@gmail.com, caitlin...@gmail.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, emilioj...@gmail.com, flavia...@gmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, gop...@gmail.com, h...@stratlabs.com, hoka...@sccl.org, jedd...@gmail.com, j...@talknicer.com, jose...@gmail.com, nik...@hotmail.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, rpol...@outlook.com, schmid...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, xinwei...@gmail.com
San Francisco peeps here, our ETA is 8:50 am.

Everyone else, if you get there earlier please help Emily unload the Costco goods. You can do that before or after getting signed in at the desk with The Tech.

Joe Mathes

Feb 22, 2020, 11:30:22 AM2/22/20
to James Donald, Emily Ramos, Andy Qui Le, Bryan Pelham, Emily Thomforde, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Jessica Song, Jim Whitfield, Jonathan Hull, Kenny Spade, Kent Williams, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, Mark Miller, Nick Duguid, Ramesh Sampath, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, Tam Nguyen, Tim O'Brien, Vaganov Michael, aary...@gmail.com, caitlin...@gmail.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, emilioj...@gmail.com, flavia...@gmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, gop...@gmail.com, h...@stratlabs.com, hoka...@sccl.org, jedd...@gmail.com, j...@talknicer.com, jose...@gmail.com, nik...@hotmail.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, rpol...@outlook.com, schmid...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, xinwei...@gmail.com
I got here at 8:10, unloaded my stuff. Setting up the room, will help people as they arrive

Joe Mathes

Feb 22, 2020, 11:30:51 AM2/22/20
to James Donald, Emily Ramos, Andy Qui Le, Bryan Pelham, Emily Thomforde, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Jessica Song, Jim Whitfield, Jonathan Hull, Kenny Spade, Kent Williams, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, Mark Miller, Nick Duguid, Ramesh Sampath, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, Tam Nguyen, Tim O'Brien, Vaganov Michael, aary...@gmail.com, caitlin...@gmail.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, emilioj...@gmail.com, flavia...@gmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, gop...@gmail.com, h...@stratlabs.com, hoka...@sccl.org, jedd...@gmail.com, j...@talknicer.com, jose...@gmail.com, nik...@hotmail.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, rpol...@outlook.com, schmid...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, xinwei...@gmail.com
It's really exciting being back in new venture Hall! Got chills as soon as I walked in

Jim Whitfield

Feb 22, 2020, 11:32:52 AM2/22/20
to Joe Mathes, James Donald, Emily Ramos, Andy Qui Le, Bryan Pelham, Emily Thomforde, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Jessica Song, Jonathan Hull, Kenny Spade, Kent Williams, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, Mark Miller, Nick Duguid, Ramesh Sampath, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, Tam Nguyen, Tim O'Brien, Vaganov Michael, aary...@gmail.com, caitlin...@gmail.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, emilioj...@gmail.com, flavia...@gmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, gop...@gmail.com, h...@stratlabs.com, hoka...@sccl.org, jedd...@gmail.com, j...@talknicer.com, jose...@gmail.com, nik...@hotmail.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, rpol...@outlook.com, schmid...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, xinwei...@gmail.com
I'm leaving Mountain View now.  Be there (with Giant monitor cases and arduino station materials) certainly by 9.
I'll aim for a loading dock.
Where are people parking for the day?

Jim

Jon Hull

Feb 22, 2020, 11:53:20 AM2/22/20
to ja...@hackthefuture.org, Mark Miller, j...@talknicer.com, Bryan Pelham, jose...@gmail.com, da...@davebsoft.com, ogu...@ccclib.org, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, flavia...@gmail.com, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, nik...@hotmail.com, aary...@gmail.com, vandi...@gmail.com, Tim O'Brien, emilioj...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, Tam Nguyen, Kent Williams, h...@stratlabs.com, Andy Qui Le, schmid...@gmail.com, Stacie Hibino, Ramesh Sampath, Steve....@vw.com, gop...@gmail.com, Nick Duguid, ethom...@smcoe.org, caitlin...@gmail.com, jedd...@gmail.com, Joe Mathes, hoka...@sccl.org, Jim Whitfield, xinwei...@gmail.com, rpol...@outlook.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, Vaganov Michael, Emily Ramos, Jessica Song, Kenny Spade, Hack the Future Volunteer Group
ETA 9:15

Sent from my iPhone

James Donald

Feb 22, 2020, 12:00:07 PM2/22/20
to Jim Whitfield, Joe Mathes, James Donald, Emily Ramos, Andy Qui Le, Bryan Pelham, Emily Thomforde, Forrest Spade, Frantisek...@vw.com, Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Jessica Song, Jonathan Hull, Kenny Spade, Kent Williams, LAM...@yahoo.com, Mahesh Pasupuleti, Mark Miller, Nick Duguid, Ramesh Sampath, Stacie Hibino, Steve....@vw.com, Tam Nguyen, Tim O'Brien, Vaganov Michael, aary...@gmail.com, caitlin...@gmail.com, clarey...@hotmail.com, Dave Briccetti, emilioj...@gmail.com, flavia...@gmail.com, gianna...@yahoo.com, gop...@gmail.com, “hmb@stratlabs.com”, hoka...@sccl.org, jedd...@gmail.com, “jim@talknicer.com”, jose...@gmail.com, Nikunj Vaidya, Orlando Guzman, rpol...@outlook.com, “schmidtmarkc@gmail.com”, vandi...@gmail.com, vicch...@gmail.com, xinwei...@gmail.com
Where are people parking for the day?

Of the two options:

* San Jose McEnery Convention Center (150 W San Carlos St, Garage entrance on Almaden Boulevard between San Carlos and Balbach streets.); or

* 2nd and San Carlos Garage (280 S. 2nd St.)

I think the Convention Center (1st one) works slightly better being one block away. Confirmed The Tech will validate your parking so you can stay there all day for $5.

Yeah, people usually unload somewhere (so far mostly the front door with helping hands), then drive a block away to park.