Re: [HR] Digest for houstonrandonneurs@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

WALLACE BIGLER

Jul 20, 2021, 9:06:56 AM7/20/21
to Houston Randonneurs
Gary,
In my 12 years here I’ve never ridden it and no nothing about it.  My question would be who submitted it to the perm program?
Sorry you had such a mess of a ride.
Regards,
Wally

On Jul 20, 2021, at 7:37 AM, houstonra...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Gary Gottlieb <gary.p....@me.com>: Jul 19 08:33AM -0500

Houston Randonneurs,

Last Saturday Dana and I rode the Blue Bell Century and I have a couple of questions and observations.

My first question is on the way to Brenham there are controls in Bellville and Chappell Hill, but on the way back from Brenham there are no controls all the way to Brookshire. How did this ever get approved?

Now on the way back from Chappell Hill there is a right turn onto Mel Acres Lane off of FM-1371 at mile 66.3. This is a big ranch with a gate that says “Private Property”. The gate was open so we continued on the route. It was a concrete driveway to a very beautiful house with a circle drive. At the circle drive the route went left to continue on Mel Acres Lane.

After a quarter mile the road became almost unrideable. About every twenty feet there was a wide crack with tall grass growing through it. We continued and hit a cattle guard that has missing pipes and almost crashed. At that point we decided something is wrong and we backtracked back to FM-1371 and took the normal way back to Bellville on FM-1371 to FM-1456.

That evening I opened up RWGPS and looked at the roads using satellite view. At mile 68.3 the route turns left onto Nicholson Lake Road which is also FM-91 and that looks like a nice way back to Bellville.

So my second question is did somebody add this “scenic” way back to Bellville without checking out the roads or is it a mistake?

I rode this route once by myself many years ago and I do not remember this “scenic” way back to Bellville. It was a out-and-back with a small loop in Brenham due to one-way streets. I still have the files from Bob Riggs on my PC from the original permanent and it does not have this “scenic” way back to Bellville. This must have been added when the route was resubmitted as a new “ePerm” recently.

If anyone knows the answers, please reply to the HR list so we all know what is going on.

Thanks,
Gary
Fred Corsiglia <faco...@gmail.com>: Jul 19 08:27AM -0700

Scary Gary - Great to see you are riding Houston routes frequently. I
would like to think we are the fastest growing RUSA club in the country,
but I just can't get there!

1. This route appeared in the RUSA library after the migration to Ride With
GPS. I don't recall seeing it previously. I can only speculate on the
RUSA approval status of the route, but if any, it is likely older.
2. I attempted this route back in February (because it was new) and bridged
a distance I need to build back up to 200k. The route appeared to turn
right into an iron gate and a large residence (you referred to it as a
ranch). The gate was locked closed the day I attempted the route. I
assumed the queue sheet is incorrect and rode the return route on standard
roads from Chappell Hill to Bellville. The route may have been accurate
when it was approved, but that house appeared to be a few years old.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing you on the routes of Houston.

Fred

lcluc...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2021, 12:24:00 PM7/26/21
to Houston Randonneurs
There is a Bluebell century in ride with gps https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36907139

lcluc...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2021, 1:47:54 PM7/26/21
to Houston Randonneurs
it should of been https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3292379 instead of the other, this is by Bob Riggs

Tibor Tamas

Jul 26, 2021, 1:54:09 PM7/26/21
to lcluc...@gmail.com, Houston Randonneurs
This version has been submitted to RUSA for review/approval. It includes requested updates by those who rode it last.

Visit our homepage at:
http://www.houstonrandonneurs.org

When in doubt, ride your bike!

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Houston Randonneurs" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/houstonrandonneurs/16fabe2a-df32-4b28-9d6c-3d6d22e6ca6en%40googlegroups.com.