Password protect Web page

Jules AW

Mar 8, 2021, 8:14:05 AM3/8/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
This topic might have already been dealt with ... I just want to protect a series of hot pot exercises with a code so that any user will have to use that code to begin doing the exercises. The protection should not be on the index page only ...
Thank you in advance for your help

Jules

Martin Holmes

Mar 8, 2021, 10:22:29 AM3/8/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

You need control over your own web server to do this. If you have that,
then you can use a .htaccess file (for apache server
<https://www.whoishostingthis.com/resources/htaccess/>) or virtual host
block directives in nginx
(<https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/convert-htaccess-rules-nginx-directives/>).

Cheers,
Martin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAEu2y%3Drb-%2Bb3wOYLFuHSw-dpm%3DydOajRazb1bUCbvuTL_yhn%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/CAEu2y%3Drb-%2Bb3wOYLFuHSw-dpm%3DydOajRazb1bUCbvuTL_yhn%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jules AW

Mar 8, 2021, 12:13:26 PM3/8/21
to Martin Holmes, hotpotat...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

I'm not using a server. How about when I just want to distribute the exercises via a USB drive?
Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.

Mar 8, 2021, 12:27:15 PM3/8/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Can't be done, I'm afraid. Why would you want to do it, if you're
distributing with a USB drive? Only people who should have access will
get the USB drive anyway.

Cheers,
Martin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/kiwlf73fkqq8hgnveko3e6ma.1615223597833%40email.android.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hotpotatoesusers/kiwlf73fkqq8hgnveko3e6ma.1615223597833%40email.android.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jules AW

Mar 9, 2021, 8:24:51 AM3/9/21
to Martin Holmes, hotpotatoesusers
Hi everyone,
I just thought that would be possible for the sake of
"technicality". I read somewhere that it is also to have the flash drive "autorun", just like old CDS. What do you think?

Jules

Mel Shantz

Mar 9, 2021, 8:56:09 AM3/9/21
to Jules AW, Martin Holmes, hotpotatoesusers
I think you should do what you have to do Jules. USB keys sounds like a lot of work and when you make small edits to your lessons, it means updating all of the keys. Htaccess that Martin describes is really straightforward once you have it figured out.

I personally much prefer a Moodle server with Taskchain if that is somewhere in your orbit. It gives you much greater control. A single launch for everyone. And you see completion rates & scores. And plus you have all of the other tools Moodle offers.

Taskchain, as far as I know, is not for HP version 7 but version six works great with all the hacks out there and more.

Mel

Martin Holmes

Mar 9, 2021, 10:41:42 AM3/9/21
to hotpotat...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I don't think it makes any sense to restrict access to
learning materials. Who could possibly be harmed by having the
opportunity to learn something?

Cheers,
Martin