Best Way to Watch Live Japanese TV in US

Zachary S

Jun 21, 2021, 10:03:31 PM6/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I have been back in the US for a few years and still have not been able to find a good and reliable service to get Japanese channels over here. I only have wifi and no cable subscription (and I do not want one.) I have seen some services come and go, but with the exception of some 24/7 youtube news stations that replay the same 10 minute clip over and over I have not been able to find a good service.

I have Roku tv btw. I remember an old thread we had many years back, but do not remember everything and know some of those services have ceased. Anyone have any up to date things that work for them?

As always, grateful for any advice,

Zachary Soter

Joe Jones

Jun 21, 2021, 10:07:44 PM6/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
https://www.isakura.stream/index_en.html
Legality seems extremely dodgy, but it works well.

guanzhi

Jun 22, 2021, 12:10:55 AM6/22/21
to honyaku

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

Jun 22, 2021, 12:47:24 AM6/22/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/06/22 7:33, Zachary S wrote:
> As always, grateful for any advice,
I do not have any advice to offer, but a suggestion that I can give is
KeyHoleTV using which you can see only the major terrestrial
broadcasting stations in Tokyo and a few other locations in Japan (and
also some radio stations in Kanto and Kansai). The picture quality is
low but acceptable if you are not intently watching it. You have to pay
$8 for 30 days or $76 for 365 days. The URL for this service is:

http://www.oiseyer.com/

Hope this is of some use to some people at least.

Niranjan
(Dr. M. S. Niranjan)

li...@letstalktranslations.com

Jun 22, 2021, 1:15:34 AM6/22/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I have the JapanTV Deluxe package here: https://japannettv.com/wpshop/index.php/products/

A hundred dollars or so to set up and a couple of hundred dollars a year to watch more TV than is humanly possible. All channels are excellent, including many HD. Never any dropouts while watching but I have found all channels down for a day once since I started using this at the beginning of the year. The package includes all stations recorded for a month or two, so I can select any of the hundred+ stations and go backwards to whatever time I wanted over the recording period. I watch it on my smart tv and computer.

I am in Australia, so I can only assume it is available for you (pretty easy assumption to make considering the quality of this service). I don’t need anything special to watch (i.e., don’t need a VPN). I have no idea of the legality of this system.

Pseudonym (just in case…): Michael 😊

Rene

Jun 22, 2021, 3:04:01 AM6/22/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
MOn Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM Zachary S <zach....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been back in the US for a few years and still have not been able to find a good and reliable service to get Japanese channels over here. I only have wifi and no cable subscription (and I do not want one.) I have seen some services come and go, but with the exception of some 24/7 youtube news stations that replay the same 10 minute clip over and over I have not been able to find a good service.

They have a couple of live J-news channels on Youtube. Maybe that helps?

Paul Koehler

Jun 22, 2021, 11:48:08 AM6/22/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I've had great luck with the following service, thanks to a recommendation from a colleague:

https://forjoytv.com/

It has a large variety of channels and the ability to watch programs either live or up to two weeks after the initial broadcast.

It's the best I've found since moving back to the States over eight years ago

pringleworld

Jun 22, 2021, 10:06:39 PM6/22/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I like the convenience of being able to turn on the TV and watch Japanese programs any time I want, and I like to watch Japanese news, so I subscribe to Japan TV. You get it from Direct TV for $25/month. You do have to buy a cable plan to go with it, but you can insist on the cheapest plan (I think it is called the Basic plan, and it is not advertised but you can go through Japan TV to get it), which costs $23/month. The total is $48, but I think it is worth it. Since I have it bundled with my land line, internet and wireless from ATT, I get a $10/month discount. Finally, I deduct the cost as a business expense.
Patricia

Zachary S

Jun 22, 2021, 10:58:16 PM6/22/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Thank you very much for the many resources that everyone has provided. I have parsed through them and found many good options that were previously unknown to me. Loving this group as always.

-Zachary Soter