Giving up on a document.... Anybody want to take over for me?

Warren Smith

Dec 21, 2022, 5:47:05 PM12/21/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I have been translating a very tough document discussing a purported UFO sighting in Japan from 1803. I have spent several very tough days on the document (which I WAY underbid and which is due tomorrow). Thought I was nearly done, but now I see that there are two pages (about 1730 characters) that is a typed transcription of documents authored in the early 1800s.

As a patent guy, I don't read 19th century Japanese (even if it is typed out for me).

Is there anybody who is qualified to take this off my hands?

Thanks.

Warren

Warren Smith

Dec 21, 2022, 8:51:13 PM12/21/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Found a book by the author of my document, which gave his translations for some for some of the text, but I still have 740 characters left....

Warren Smith

Dec 21, 2022, 11:44:37 PM12/21/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Well.... Not happy with the results, but the document is in. This was tough!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/37B9BCAAD1AA464387A7C1FF2321BCF6%40WarrenSmithDell.

Warren Smith

Dec 21, 2022, 11:54:36 PM12/21/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I do have a couple of questions though....

此品甚美敷模様有之石とも見え申候

Not sure about the ending of the sentence. Does the object with the beautiful pattern look like stone or not?

Thanks.

Warren Smith

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/6B1A372BE05C4E74B628A7D000654E84%40WarrenSmithDell.

Herman

Dec 22, 2022, 12:12:58 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 12/21/22 20:54, Warren Smith wrote:
> I do have a couple of questions though....
>
> 此品甚美敷模様有之石とも見え申候
>
> Not sure about the ending of the sentence. Does the object with the
> beautiful pattern look like stone or not?

It does. The negative form would be 不申候.

Herman Kahn

Alan Siegrist

Dec 22, 2022, 12:13:42 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

The ending 申候 or 申し候 is read もうしそうろう and has the following meaning:

よく「申し候」「申候」の読み方がわからないという検索を見つけますが、「もうしそうろう」です。 意味はあまりなく、現在の「です」と思ってください。

https://sakamotoryouma.com/meigen/sentaku.html#:~:text=%E7%94%B3%E3%81%97%E5%80%99%20%E8%AA%AD%E3%81%BF%E6%96%B9%E3%83%BB%E6%84%8F%E5%91%B3,%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99%E3%80%8D%E3%81%A8%E6%80%9D%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A6%E3%81%8F%E3%81%A0%E3%81%95%E3%81%84%E3%80%82

So I take the phrase to mean that it does look like stone.

Of course, this is all based on the first Google hit.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist

Monterey, CA, USA

Brendan Craine

Dec 22, 2022, 12:18:15 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,

Oh jeez, 候文. Haven't grappled with this kind of thing since grad school, but 申候 is roughly equivalent to modern ている, if I remember correctly.
No negation happening here, I would say.

(To be honest, though, I would probably want at least one other person to ratify that.)

Best,
Brendan

2022年12月22日(木) 13:54 Warren Smith <Warren...@comcast.net>:

チーフエディター『エクスポート・ジャパン株式会社』
ブレンダン・クレイン (Brendan Craine)
email: brendan@export-japan.co.jp

Motohiro Kojima

Dec 22, 2022, 12:27:53 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren Smith様

私もあまり詳しくありませんが。。。

この品、甚だしく美しき模様有るの石とも見え申しそうろう。
→この品物は、とても美しい模様がある石にように見えます。

何を見て、このように言っているのでしょうか?
似た文が下記サイトで見つかりました。
https://iwasebunko.jp/stock/collection/entry-289.html

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:54:01 -0500
Warren Smith様 wrote:
|I do have a couple of questions though....
|
|此品甚美敷模様有之石とも見え申候
|

|Not sure about the ending of the sentence. Does the object with the
|beautiful pattern look like stone or not?
|

|Thanks.
|

|Warren Smith

2022.12.22 14:20:33
===================================
小島基弘 <mthr...@imoduru.net>

Motohiro Kojima

Dec 22, 2022, 12:29:43 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Motohiro Kojima様

すみません。若干訂正します。

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 14:27:47 +0900
Motohiro Kojima様 wrote:
|→この品物は、とても美しい模様がある石にように見えます。
                  *石のように

2022.12.22 14:29:08
小島基弘 <mthr...@imoduru.net>

Warren Smith

Dec 22, 2022, 11:14:15 AM12/22/22
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thank you all for your help on this.

I had said that I had found in a book (by the author of the document I am translating) a translation of some of the papers that are referenced in the appendix.

The author's translation (in the book) said that it *doesn't* look like stone, and I wanted to check with my colleagues before concluding he was wrong.

Thanks for the help!

Warren Smith