Wakai...

Warren Smith

Oct 21, 2021, 2:16:24 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

I should know this, but I don't.

In priority sequencing, if the 若い ID no. is given priority, is that the lowest number or the most recent (which tends to be the highest)?

Thanks,

Warren

Alan Siegrist

Oct 21, 2021, 2:44:59 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Warren Smith writes:

I should know this, but I don't.

In priority sequencing, if the 若い ID no. is given priority, is that the lowest number or the most recent (which tends to be the highest)?

If you are referring to 若い順, this would be “ascending order” according to the following page.

http://www.daido-it.ac.jp/~oishi/HT240/ht240.html

| 日本語では昇順のことを「若い順」ということがあります。

This seems to make sense because younger people have a smaller number as their age, so when put in order from youngest to oldest, their ages go from smaller to larger numbers.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist

Monterey, CA, USA

Herman

Oct 21, 2021, 2:50:36 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
This does not have necessarily have any connection to priority
sequencing, but generally, 番号の若いID would be an ID with a
lower/smaller number, not one which was assigned most recently. However,
it is conceivable that, in some context, 若い could do be used to
designate "most recent".

Herman Kahn

On 10/21/21 11:16 AM, Warren Smith wrote:
> I should know this, but I don't.
>
> In priority sequencing, if the 若いID no. is given priority, is that the
> lowest number or the most recent (which tends to be the highest)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Warren

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/75B229F78C62419981A4596A10D6D039%40WarrenSmithDell
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/75B229F78C62419981A4596A10D6D039%40WarrenSmithDell?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Warren Smith

Oct 21, 2021, 2:56:26 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Thanks! Much obliged.

In priority sequencing, if the 若い ID no. is given priority, is that the lowest number or the most recent (which tends to be the highest)?

If you are referring to 若い順, this would be “ascending order” according to the following page.

| 日本語では昇順のことを「若い順」ということがあります。

This seems to make sense because younger people have a smaller number as their age, so when put in order from youngest to oldest, their ages go from smaller to larger numbers.

Regards,

Alan Siegrist

Monterey, CA, USA

Herman

Oct 21, 2021, 3:06:06 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
https://okwave.jp/qa/q4857546.html

As a concrete example of the potential ambiguity I alluded to, the
author of the above post uses "一番古い年月日のデータ" synonymously to "
年月日が一番若いデータ".

Herman Kahn

Warren Smith

Oct 21, 2021, 4:26:38 PM10/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I often wonder about the words 前 and 後. The past is a head of us, and the
future is behind us. (What was the title of "Back to the Future" in
Japanese? The English title was probably just 当たり前 to them!)

> I often wonder about the words 前 and 後. The past is a head of us, and the
> future is behind us. (What was the title of "Back to the Future" in
> Japanese? The English title was probably just 当たり前 to them!)

Yeah, those words are weird, maybe in many languages. In English we say “the future lies before us” but also “those who came before us.”

Jens Wilkinson