Anybody know what an engine クラ might be?

Warren Smith

May 28, 2021, 12:35:48 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

From a much longer (and very ugly) sentence:

エンジンのクラ設置されており、手動式のプライマリーポンプ、絞り弁、定燃料室、ダイヤフラムを具えた構成

These are parts of a carburetor. Though automotive, "clutch" doesn't work (as that is a totally unrelated system). Claw? Cluster? Crank?

I have no clue....

Thanks in advance,

Warren

timl...@aol.com

May 28, 2021, 2:43:45 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Crack screw?

Tim Leeney

Herman

May 28, 2021, 3:12:46 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 5/27/21 9:35 PM, Warren Smith wrote:
> From a much longer (and very ugly) sentence:
>
> エンジンのクラ設置されており、手動式のプライマリーポンプ、絞り弁、定燃料
> 室、ダイヤフラムを具えた構成
>
> These are parts of a carburetor. Though automotive, "clutch" doesn't
> work (as that is a totally unrelated system). Claw? Cluster? Crank?
>
> I have no clue....

Assuming that エンジンのクラ設置 means エンジンのクラに設置, I would
guess クラ must mean crankcase.

Herman Kahn

John Stroman

May 28, 2021, 6:04:15 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren,
FWIW,
A search for the combination "クラ" and "エンジン" on the WIPO website yields 67 pages with hits. The English renderings  of the Japanese abstracts are about evenly divided between crankcase and clutch (with a few oddballs thrown in like cranking). On the other hand, a search for "pump," "diaphragm," "carburetor" in English yields 24 pages of hits. When "crank" is added to the English search, there are 2 pages of hits all relating to fuel pumps, carburetors and engines. When "crank" is replaced with "clutch," there is only one hit: RU02399784. The English abstract of this application also includes "valve" and "fuel tank." I tried adding "manual" to the search, but that combination yielded no hits with "crank" or "clutch."

 Presumably, you have access to a drawing, etc.

John Stroman
----------------

timl...@aol.com

May 28, 2021, 6:36:28 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
I googled クラ + carburetor, and looking at the first image that came up (of a carburetor with parts named on the diagram), I saw "M idling speed crackscrew".

FWIW
Tim Leeney

May 28, 2021, 7:30:52 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Maybe some kind of cooperation between the carburettor and something else (the clutch?) is involved. What is the main claim directed to? How does it all work? (Obviously you may not want to answer these questions publicly.)
David Apps

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/6208baf4-ca13-38a9-b29b-d14d6af1f70d%40lmi.net.

Jon Johanning

May 28, 2021, 9:10:11 AM5/28/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list

Crankshaft?

Dr. M. S. Niranjan

May 28, 2021, 9:22:01 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
On 2021/05/28 18:40, Jon Johanning wrote:
> エンジンのクラ設置されており
This could be 「エンジンの裏設置されており」

ニランジャン
(Dr. M. S. Niranjan)

Warren Smith

May 28, 2021, 11:17:27 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everybody for your help on this.

I suppose that Herman's "mounted on the crankcase of the engine" is a
possibility. Dr. Niranjan's out-of-the-box thinking that kura might have
been a typo for "ura" ("mounted behind the engine") is an intriguing
possibility.
Not sure how "crankscrew" would work in this case (and, frankly, not even
sure what a "crankscrew" is!).
I was especially impressed with John's very thorough research process. I
learned from you, John, and will use such a technique in the future.

Given the many typos in the source document, I think I will push back on the
client for clarification.

Warren

PS: From context, I am thinking that "手動式のプライマリーポンプ" is likely
a "primer" pump (like one of those little primer bulbs you find on small
engines), not a "primary" pump. (I know that in my little flying machine I
have a primer pump that feeds fuel directly into... someplace... to assist
in cold starting, and the point of this patent is a carburetor that assists
with cold starting...) Without doing much research, does anybody know off
the top of their head whether 1) the Japanese call a primer pump a "プライマ
リーポンプ" pump instead, or 2) whether this is a common error in Japan?

Thanks.

timl...@aol.com

May 28, 2021, 11:20:49 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
May 28, 2021, 11:22:04 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, my typo: should be crackscrew.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/honyaku/191773980.654486.1622215242675%40mail.yahoo.com.

Herman

May 28, 2021, 11:30:30 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
プライマリーポンプ is indeed a primer pump and is not an error.

A crack screw is a throttle (low speed) adjustment screw, like when you
crack the throttle.

Herman Kahn

Motohiro Kojima

May 28, 2021, 11:36:11 AM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Warren Smith様

FYI
https://www.agriz.net/chainsaw/lcontents_2/mcontents_21/scontents_212/contents105.html

On Fri, 28 May 2021 11:17:19 -0400
Warren Smith様 wrote:
|PS: From context, I am thinking that "手動式のプライマリーポンプ" is likely
|a "primer" pump (like one of those little primer bulbs you find on small

2021.05.29 00:35:43
===================================
Motohiro Kojima <mthr...@imoduru.net>

Warren Smith

May 28, 2021, 12:18:43 PM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Thank you Kojima-san.

For those who don't want to follow the link, Kojima-san posted a link that
equated a "primary pump" (katakana) with a "priming pump"(katakana).

I have always called this a "primer pump," but "priming pump" gets 1.5
million Googits, and "primer pump" gets only 0.5 million Googits, so I guess
"priming pump" wins.

That being said, "primer bulb" gets 1.4 million Googits, and "priming bulb"
only gets 0.04 million Googits, so there is an inconsistency in usage.

John Burton

May 28, 2021, 4:59:18 PM5/28/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com, Warren Smith
If the source text was freshly written, you may be able to ask the client to follow up on the good doctor's hunch that it is a typo. (I come across typos a lot, especially in katakana.)
If the source is some PDF of a document from the Showa Era, you may be out of luck checking for typos.