建機変動

pubay

Dec 20, 2021, 5:07:47 PM12/20/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
I am having trouble with 建機 in 建機変動 in the following sentence:

牛1頭の価格が当時いくらであったのかは正確にはわからないし、ナポレオン戦争期の建機変動によって価格も変動したことは確かである。

It presumably doesn't mean "construction equipment," and I haven't found anything helpful with Google. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Rolf Giebel

Motohiro Kojima

Dec 20, 2021, 5:18:56 PM12/20/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Rolf Giebel様

建機変動という言葉は聞いたことがありません。

景気変動のタイポではないでしょうか?
景気(けいき)
建機(けんき)

Motohiro Kojima

JimBreen

Dec 21, 2021, 8:04:38 PM12/21/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
KOD追加語彙(和英) has:
けんき3【建機】
〔建設機械〕 construction equipment [machinery].

Jim

Tom Gally

Dec 21, 2021, 9:49:51 PM12/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com
Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting to Honyaku in quite a few years. I was active on the list back in the 1990s (!) and early 2000s before changing careers.

牛1頭の価格が当時いくらであったのかは正確にはわからないし、ナポレオン戦争期の建機変動によって価格も変動したことは確かである。

Since the text is about the historic price of cattle and refers the Napoleonic wars, I strongly suspect that 建機変動 is a typo for 天気変動. Google searches turn up references to the “year without summer” (1815) and other unusual weather in the early 19th century. For example:

Tom Gally
Yokohama, Japan

cpta...@ozemail.com.au

Dec 21, 2021, 10:14:28 PM12/21/21
to hon...@googlegroups.com

Well you’ve still got it Tom!

Chris

pubay

Dec 22, 2021, 1:44:40 PM12/22/21
to Honyaku E<>J translation list
Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that 建機 was a typo for 景気.

Rolf Giebel