Looking for Old Fan Sites!

LotBlind

Jul 20, 2017, 11:53:24 AM7/20/17
to home-of-th...@googlegroups.com
As the years have rolled by the majority of fansites that have existed when the interwebs were still young and blue-eyed have been let fall into oblivion. Whenever we have a link in one of our articles, it's possible to retrieve an archived copy from the Wayback Machine (amazing service BTW!) and I've started to do this with all such existing links, but many times no such link is there and thus I have no way to know if any sites ever existed. It's a long shot but perhaps some of you might have old bookmarks or such or can remember the URL of some fansite off-hand? We're looking for anything with a bit of substance: just a mailing list with a few news posts probably isn't enough, nor is a single review on a site that doesn't focus on that specific game or game series, but something like The Detective Mosely homage site for Gabriel Knight is a jackpot! Tips, strategies, easter eggs, detailed/illustrated walkthroughs, theories... anything like this is gold!

I have no time to start digging based on vague hints unfortunately, but you can easily see if you're remembering the right URL yourself by going to the WB page and typing it into the search field. It's best to choose "show all" I think and choose the latest copy marked with a blue ball. Sometimes this is not the best copy, however, since something like broken images may have started to appear before a site completely disappeared so you might wanna look back for the most representative snapshot that still has the last published updates. Unless, of course, the site still exists today.

This is probably the easiest way to do the site, and the game, a service! Hope we can add awesome fansites to some of the articles soon!

EDIT: To be clear, we want fansites of the GAMES or game series that have articles on the site. Unless of course you want to write an article for a new inductee in which case please refer to the other stickied thread.

Martin Iturbide

Jul 20, 2017, 9:21:08 PM7/20/17
to Home of the Underdogs
Regards

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM, LotBlind <hors...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

LotBlind

Jul 25, 2017, 3:31:09 PM7/25/17
to Home of the Underdogs
Okay, I may have phrased that poorly... We're looking for fan sites of the games that we have articles on. This link looks generic. If you think it has good stuff in there for a specific game, feel free to post that link instead.

Yan

Jul 25, 2017, 3:49:32 PM7/25/17
to LotBlind, Home of the Underdogs
I realize you don't have time to look through this yourself (unfortunately, neither do I), but many of those sites were members of webrings, and some of those webrings are still extant. For example, here's a quest for glory webring with 15 QfG fansites: http://hub.gamesntoys.org/hub/qfg. They could probably be mined for URLs, if someone is so inclined.

Is there a list of already-known fansites being compiled somewhere? Might be cool to start a spreadsheet to at least keep track of clues for missing ones, and it could be a good way to capture any spare time that people do have for this.

- Yan