'hledger add' not using declared payees

LucaBH

Jan 3, 2023, 9:23:37 AM1/3/23
to hledger
Hi.

My typical workflow is to have separated, yearly journals, adding transactions using 'hledger add' command in terminal. And I heavily use payees, many of them are general enough to be used multiple times, across all the years.
This way, unfortunately, when I start over a new year, the set of payees I used in the past gets lost, which means the auto-completion of the Description field doesn't work anymore -- at leat during initial weeks.

I tried to overcome the issue building a set of declared payees (via 'payee' directive) in a single journal file included in the yearly file. However 'hledger add' seems not caring about declared payees.

Is there a solution I'm not seeing?

Thank you, regards
Luca

Simon Michael

Jan 3, 2023, 10:58:37 AM1/3/23
to hle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. As a workaround, can you just
hledger add -f NEW -f OLD for now ?
(IIRC it adds to the first).

On Jan 3, 2023, at 04:23, LucaBH <csn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi.

LucaBH

Jan 4, 2023, 7:20:13 AM1/4/23
to hledger
Yes.
It's a bit cumbersome -- and unfortunately makes the LEDGER_FILE environment variable useless -- but I can overcome this through a shell script automatically determining the NEW and OLD journal files.

Thank you Simon,
Luca

Simon Michael

Jan 5, 2023, 1:00:36 AM1/5/23
to hledger
I added this to the dev version - Description now autocompletes declared payees and used payees (written left of |) as well as full descriptions.

LucaBH

Jan 5, 2023, 7:40:17 AM1/5/23
to hledger
Thank you very much Simon. I'll give a try in the next release.

Bye
Luca