Reconciliation and vim

Keith Edmunds

May 30, 2021, 10:36:28 AM5/30/21
to hledger
Can anyone add some practical tips?

I'm using hledger to manage two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. I can download and import statements for each, and I can add a balance assertion.

What I want to do is check each new transaction and mark it cleared once I'm happy with it (ie, it's correctly allocated, it's not a fraudulent transaction, etc).

I've used vim for decades so I'd rather manage this reconciliation without using emacs (even in its vim-compatible mode I find it frustrating to use through my ignorance of both emacs and Lisp). I don't have to use vim; I just want to avoid using emacs.

Is anyone else doing something similar to what I want to do? If so, I'd appreciate a quick description of how you manage it.

Simon Michael

May 30, 2021, 12:25:07 PM5/30/21
to hledger
I have a web browser showing the bank's online register, a terminal window running "hledger-ui --watch --register checking [-C]", and my text editor editing the journal. By comparing the running balance of bank and hledger-ui registers I can see if they agree or when they diverged, and I get immediate feedback as I make corrections in the editor (missing/duplicate/misdated transactions, wrong amounts, transactions needing clearing or unclearing). Any help ?

Simon Michael

May 30, 2021, 12:33:22 PM5/30/21
to hledger
Clarifying for others: that command line is just an example, and I don't literally type "[-C]"; more generally I have "hledger-ui --watch" running, I go into the checking account's register, and I use the C key to switch back and forth between showing cleared transactions only - which should be the same as what the bank is showing me - or all of them.

Diego Depaoli

May 30, 2021, 5:09:53 PM5/30/21
to hle...@googlegroups.com
To mark transactions cleared i'm happy with emacs occur mode and a minimal macro (you can quickly and easily learn how to use it)
Take a look at vim-occur plugin, it may help you.

My kind regards

Diego Depaoli