attempting to install commit tagged v1.1.2

Michael Litchard

Jan 2, 2017, 1:56:42 PM1/2/17
to haskell-stack
I've got the following build of ubuntu
Linux ubuntu-ppc64 4.4.0-53-powerpc64-smp #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 16:41:54 UTC 2016 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

Docs suggest I need to install v1.1.2, of stack and trying to upgrade via "stack upgrade" just results in the following error

"I don't know how to install GHC for (Linux,PPC), please install manually"

So, I am attempting a manual install of the commit tagged v1.1.2

stack build
Compiler version mismatched, found ghc-7.10.3 (powerpc), but expected minor version match with ghc-7.10.3 (ppc) (based on resolver setting in /home/lambdafan/projects/git/stack/stack.yaml).

Could you please help me resolve this? do I need to change my stacl.yaml file, or install a different build of ghc? Or something else?

Simon Jakobi

Jan 2, 2017, 4:04:41 PM1/2/17
to Michael Litchard, haskell-stack
Hi Michael,

what version of stack do you have installed? Why do you want to
install v1.1.2, which is quite ancient at this point?

> "I don't know how to install GHC for (Linux,PPC), please install manually"

This error message is slightly amiguous but what it means is that it
cannot install a stack-managed version of GHC for your architecture.
Instead, you have to provide a system GHC installation, which, it
appears, you have.

If your version of stack is >= 1.3.0, stack will avoid using a system
GHC installation and try to provide one itself. On your architecture,
stack will fail to do so. Instead, you should tell stack to use your
system GHC installation by adding the following line to your
~/.stack/config.yaml:

system-ghc: true

Hope that helps!
Simon

Simon Jakobi

Jan 2, 2017, 4:43:43 PM1/2/17
to Michael Litchard, haskell-stack
> stack build
> Compiler version mismatched, found ghc-7.10.3 (powerpc), but expected minor
> version match with ghc-7.10.3 (ppc) (based on resolver setting in
> /home/lambdafan/projects/git/stack/stack.yaml).

Oh, I overlooked this bit when I read your email initially. Looks like
stack knows about a "ppc" architecture, but not about "powerpc". That
should be fixed!

Michael Litchard

Jan 2, 2017, 5:11:07 PM1/2/17
to Simon Jakobi, haskell-stack
Tell me where I should look and I'll take the task on.

Michael Litchard

Jan 2, 2017, 5:30:18 PM1/2/17
to Simon Jakobi, haskell-stack
I'll work this as far as I can and come back for help.