Offline Mode For Stack

sanya...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 4:56:58 AM3/20/18
to haskell-stack
Hello!

I am extremely interested int the Project-"Offline Mode for Stack" for Google Summer Of Code.

I have gone through the previous attempts on the same topic on github.

 Please guide me further as to what should I do next as I am a little confused about how to break down the problem into pieces and base my proposal on.

Soliciting a prompt and positive response.

Thanking you
Sanya

Emanuel Borsboom

Mar 22, 2018, 9:16:36 AM3/22/18
to sanya...@gmail.com, haskell-stack
Here are my thoughts on the steps involved:

- Go through all code that does Internet access, make sure it can be disabled
- Add a way to download all required files (snapshots, package source, etc.) into an offline archive
- Ensure the offline archive can be incrementally updated (e.g. if a snapshot or extra-dep is updated, the new files can be added to the existing archive)
- Ensure the offline archive can also be used from an HTTP(S) server on a corporate intranet (note that actually uploading the archive to that server is out of scope since there are too many variables in how these servers could be set up)
- Add an easy way to reference the offline archive in stack.yaml.

bktso...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2018, 1:30:10 PM4/8/18
to haskell-stack
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Emanuel, I have also interested with this and would like to work on it.

Jan von Löwenstein

Apr 8, 2018, 2:25:07 PM4/8/18
to Emanuel Borsboom, haskell-stack, sanya...@gmail.com
Isn't the "offline archive" pretty much what can be done via extensible snapshots? What would be in such an archive that would not be in a snapshot.

IC Rainbow

Apr 9, 2018, 4:14:10 AM4/9/18
to Jan von Löwenstein, Emanuel Borsboom, haskell-stack, sanya...@gmail.com
It may be. But that requires tooling support nevertheless.

"Done" here means (for me) you run `stack offline-snapshot` and get a directory or tarball that you can distribute to developers, add to containers etc.

Jan von Löwenstein

Apr 9, 2018, 5:01:46 AM4/9/18
to IC Rainbow, Emanuel Borsboom, haskell-stack, sanya...@gmail.com
Sure. I was asking because I opened https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/3813 to implement dependency vendoring for Stack projects.

Not sure if and when I would get to PR that myself, so I wouldn't mind if the topic gets picked up as GSoC project. Would be great if the use cases in above issue would be supported.

I have a partially working PoC for the scenario, implemented outside of stack (using turtle, shelling out to stack) to verify such a snapshot would fulfill the scenarios. It's not on github yet but I could put it there for reference.

Best
Jan