Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Baldur Blöndal

Nov 12, 2019, 8:56:50 AM11/12/19
to core-librari...@haskell.org
Is it time to move Control.Applicative.Backwards module from transformers to base, and maybe re-export it from Control.Applicative.

It's an interesting, important, simple property of Applicative that they can be run backwards.

chessai .

Nov 12, 2019, 11:59:57 AM11/12/19
to Baldur Blöndal, core-librari...@haskell.org
I support this. +1

Should we copy in the libraries mailing list?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 5:56 AM Baldur Blöndal <bald...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it time to move Control.Applicative.Backwards module from transformers to base, and maybe re-export it from Control.Applicative.

It's an interesting, important, simple property of Applicative that they can be run backwards.

Ryan Scott

Nov 12, 2019, 5:15:05 PM11/12/19
to chessai ., Baldur Blöndal, core-librari...@haskell.org
This discussion definitely belongs on the mailing list, yes.

Ryan

George Wilson

Nov 25, 2019, 7:50:03 PM11/25/19
to Baldur Blöndal, Ryan Scott, core-librari...@haskell.org, Haskell Libraries
I support this.
It would require coordinating with Ross Paterson, the maintainer of
transformers.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 09:58, Baldur Blöndal <bald...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll CC Haskell Libraries

David Feuer

Nov 27, 2019, 3:08:14 PM11/27/19
to Baldur Blöndal, Ryan Scott, core-librari...@haskell.org, Haskell Libraries
If Backwards moves, then Reverse probably should too.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019, 6:58 PM Baldur Blöndal <bald...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll CC Haskell Libraries

chessai .

Nov 27, 2019, 4:36:46 PM11/27/19
to David Feuer, Baldur Blöndal, Ryan Scott, core-librari...@haskell.org, Haskell Libraries
I think that makes sense. It wouldn't be disruptive, both changes are small but useful.

Edward Kmett

Dec 5, 2019, 12:43:32 PM12/5/19
to chessai ., David Feuer, Baldur Blöndal, Ryan Scott, core-librari...@haskell.org, Haskell Libraries
I’m a strong +1 on moving Backwards and Reverse to base. This is basically free for everybody for a nice consistency win.

I’m -1 on exporting them from Control.Applicative. That module is imported unqualified by a significant cross section of the Haskell ecosystem, so this just gratuitously introduces risk of name conflicts for little tangible benefit. In the presence of possible conflicts there I’d err on the side of the status quo over change for change’s sake.

The only real precedent for doing so is that Control.Applicative also gratuitously exports Const, which is more historical accident than precedent to follow.

-Edward

Fumiaki Kinoshita

Jun 6, 2020, 10:40:02 AM6/6/20
to Edward Kmett, chessai ., Baldur Blöndal, Haskell Libraries, core-librari...@haskell.org, Ryan Scott
Same as Edward; like Compose and Identity, I'm +1 to adding them into base but -1 to reexporting.