Bill to scrap the EHR Modernization Program

Nancy Anthracite

Jan 31, 2023, 11:29:42 AM1/31/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Joseph Dal Molin

Jan 31, 2023, 11:51:41 AM1/31/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Any idea how much $$ has been spent so far?

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

don6...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2023, 1:13:30 PM1/31/23
to Hardhats
From the article:

"Various oversight bodies have estimated that VA has more than $20 billion on the books for the program."

David Whitten

Jan 31, 2023, 1:18:47 PM1/31/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Text: H.R.608 — 118th Congress (2023-2024)All Information (Except Text)

As of 01/31/2023 text has not been received for H.R.608 - To terminate
the Electronic Health Record Modernization Program of the Department
of Veterans Affairs.

Bills are generally sent to the Library of Congress from GPO, the
Government Publishing Office, a day or two after they are introduced
on the floor of the House or Senate. Delays can occur when there are a
large number of bills to prepare or when a very large bill has to be
printed.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/608?s=1&r=2

Nancy Anthracite

Jan 31, 2023, 1:29:22 PM1/31/23
to Hardhats, don6...@gmail.com
But I recall someone saying that it was not all spent yet because the terms of
the contract had not been met.

--
Nancy Anthracite

On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 1:13:29 PM EST don6...@gmail.com wrote:
> From the article:
>
> "Various oversight bodies have estimated that VA has more than $20 billion
> on the books for the program."
>
> On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 10:51:41 AM UTC-6 Joseph Dalmolin wrote:
>
> > Any idea how much $$ has been spent so far?
> > On 2023-01-31 11:29 a.m., Nancy Anthracite wrote:
> >

> > https://fcw.com/congress/2023/01/house-bill-would-scrap-vas-20-billion-plus-electronic-health-record-program/382380/
> >

> > Nancy Anthracite
> >

> > ---
> > "Hardhats" group.
> > email to hardhats+u...@googlegroups.com.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/2746039.1Cb0JMWiHS%40owl
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/2746039.1Cb0JMWiHS%40owl?
utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

ivaldes

Jan 31, 2023, 10:38:34 PM1/31/23
to Hardhats
Congress has grown tired of winged chariots: https://groups.google.com/g/hardhats/c/sJOuy8VkQg4/m/aalJCHURAwAJ

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 1, 2023, 5:17:39 PM2/1/23
to Hardhats, ivaldes

> > Nancy Anthracite

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 3, 2023, 4:06:50 PM2/3/23
to Hardhats, ivaldes

--

Nancy Anthracite

On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 10:38:34 PM EST ivaldes wrote:

> > Nancy Anthracite

ivaldes

Feb 3, 2023, 5:06:20 PM2/3/23
to Hardhats
Larry Ellison preservation fund.

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 4, 2023, 5:32:44 AM2/4/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

mikegi...@aol.com

Feb 4, 2023, 8:24:58 AM2/4/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

I wonder where Intersystems is on all of this. Aside from the veterans themselves, they would have the most to lose if Cerner replaced VistA.

ivaldes

Feb 7, 2023, 1:23:11 PM2/7/23
to Hardhats

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 8, 2023, 9:30:57 AM2/8/23
to Hardhats, ivaldes

On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 1:23:11 PM EST ivaldes wrote:

> The text of the bill is not available yet?  Text - H.R.608 - 118th Congress

> (2023-2024): To terminate the Electronic Health Record Modernization

> Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs. | Congress.gov | Library of

> On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 10:29:42 AM UTC-6 Nancy Anthracite wrote:

> > https://fcw.com/congress/2023/01/house-bill-would-scrap-vas-20-billion-plus-electronic-health-record-program/382380/

> > Nancy Anthracite

Kimball Bighorse

Feb 8, 2023, 3:00:54 PM2/8/23
to Hardhats

Kimball Bighorse

Feb 8, 2023, 3:07:40 PM2/8/23
to Hardhats
Bost responds to the Democrats: https://twitter.com/orionds/status/1622624837209300993

Kimball Bighorse

Feb 8, 2023, 3:08:15 PM2/8/23
to Hardhats
“Chairman Bost is open to any idea that holds VA and Oracle Cerner accountable, but the time for half-measures and tinkering around the edges is over. We look forward to seeing Ranking Member Takano’s proposal," spox tells me. cc

Kekoa

Feb 9, 2023, 4:42:03 AM2/9/23
to Hardhats
Oracle wins even if Cerner is abandoned. Oracle has the VA caught in an unlimited license agreement (ULA). In short, the ULA allows the VA to consume as much Oracle products without increased costs for a period of time. More info about the ULA and its pitfalls over here.

Oracle has been spamming anyone in OIT who will listen to their pitch about being able to use Oracle products for "free". Folks in OIT are taking the bait. As a result, because OIT does not have administrative controls in place to forecast future costs of the ULA based on product consumption at the time they are consumed forces OIT to renew the ULA.

Now, do you really think Oracle will give the VA a decent ULA deal if Cerner is abandoned?

Oracle can make the VA pay - one way or another.

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 16, 2023, 6:11:29 AM2/16/23
to Hardhats, Kekoa
There is one version of the bill. Text available as:

XML/HTMLXML/HTML https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hr608/BILLS-118hr608ih.xml

TXT https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/608/text?
format=txt

PDF https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hr608/BILLS-118hr608ih.pdf

Shown Here:

Introduced in House (01/27/2023)

118th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 608

To terminate the Electronic Health Record Modernization Program of the
Department of Veterans Affairs.

________________________________

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

--
Nancy Anthracite

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 4:42:03 AM EST Kekoa wrote:
> Oracle wins even if Cerner is abandoned. Oracle has the VA caught in an
> unlimited license agreement (ULA). In short, the ULA allows the VA to
> consume as much Oracle products without increased costs for a period of
> time. More info about the ULA and its pitfalls over here
> <https://www.certero.com/data-center-sam-itam/certero-for-oracle/oracle-ula-dangers/>
> .
>
> Oracle has been spamming anyone in OIT who will listen to their pitch about
> being able to use Oracle products for "free". Folks in OIT are taking the
> bait. As a result, because OIT does not have administrative controls in
> place to forecast future costs of the ULA based on product consumption at
> the time they are consumed forces OIT to renew the ULA.
>
> Now, do you really think Oracle will give the VA a decent ULA deal if
> Cerner is abandoned?
>
> Oracle can make the VA pay - one way or another.
>

> On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 8:29:22 AM UTC-10 Nancy Anthracite wrote:
>
> > But I recall someone saying that it was not all spent yet because the
> > terms of
> > the contract had not been met.

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 16, 2023, 6:25:45 AM2/16/23
to Hardhats, Kekoa
This version has links to the laws cited at the end of the proposed bill.

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 6:11:25 AM EST Nancy Anthracite wrote:
> There is one version of the bill. Text available as:
>
> XML/HTMLXML/HTML https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hr608/
BILLS-118hr608ih.xml

> TXT https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/608/text?
> format=txt
>
> PDF https://www.congress.gov/118/bills/hr608/BILLS-118hr608ih.pdf
>
> Shown Here:
>
> Introduced in House (01/27/2023)
>
> 118th CONGRESS
>
> 1st Session
>
> H. R. 608
>
> To terminate the Electronic Health Record Modernization Program of the
> Department of Veterans Affairs.

> IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Nancy Anthracite

Feb 16, 2023, 7:00:39 AM2/16/23