It is apparent to me that this reporter did not think he needed to listen to the second half of the hearing

Nancy Anthracite

Mar 8, 2023, 7:42:34 AM3/8/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

He is just repeating the same old saw we have been hearing from the VA management as it tries to implement Cerner.  Freedom of the press has failed in this instance.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/veterans-affairs/2023/03/va-expects-its-legacy-ehr-to-be-around-for-a-long-time-as-it-troubleshoots-replacement/

--

Nancy Anthracite

Nancy Anthracite

Mar 8, 2023, 10:44:52 AM3/8/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I wrote to the reporter. He said the second part of the meeting went beyond
his deadline but the story will be updated this AM!!

--
Nancy Anthracite

George Timson

Mar 9, 2023, 4:39:52 AM3/9/23
to Hardhats
“MUMPS is not taught in computer science classes, and the pool of MUMPS programmers shrinks every year as they retire,”

I'm trying to imagine, in the light of Greg Kreis' thread, how AI will increase the "pool of MUMPS programmers" in 2033.

--George Timson

Nancy Anthracite

Mar 9, 2023, 7:08:10 AM3/9/23
to Hardhats, George Timson
As long as VistA and Epic survive, I believe there will be MUMPS programmers.
You need to understand the internals of VistA and Epic to properly program for
it as you well know, and that will be harder to teach AI and there will need
to be speed, which some other databases have not been able to provide.

Of course, I am not a MUMPS programmer, so you will have to take what I say
with the proper grain of salt. I just don't think George Timson can be
replaced by a bot when it comes to Fileman, etc.
--
Nancy Anthracite

Joseph Dal Molin

Mar 9, 2023, 8:47:34 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

...and don't forget Meditech...surprised that no one in the press or the politicos ever mention the fact that probably 60% of all major hospitals are using an M based EMR...

mikegi...@aol.com

Mar 9, 2023, 8:56:58 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Or the success that Jordan has had.

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats

Thurber, Joseph H

Mar 9, 2023, 9:04:50 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
And of course there are other industries using mumps as well.  I do miss Fileman when working with those clients though!

On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:57 AM, mikeginsburg via Hardhats <hard...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

CAUTION: External email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you verify. Send all suspicious email as an attachment to Report Spam.

Joseph Dal Molin

Mar 9, 2023, 10:39:05 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

I would love to see a cost comparison of VA and Jordan's implementation....it would of course be apples and oranges to some degree...but there are some interesting fundamental differences...e.g. number of instances, running YottaDB.

Jordan stats from the last VistA Community Meeting presentation:

https://opensourcevista.net/NancysVistAServer/40thVistACommunityMeetingSlidesAndVideos/40thVCM-JordanUpdateSlidesV3.0-OmarAyesh20221002.pdf

Wolfgang Giere

Mar 9, 2023, 11:00:40 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Please help me to understand "the success that Jordan has had". I am not familiar with Jordan and his succes, cannot follow the discussion, Sorry!

Wolfgang

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: RE: [Hardhats] Who will know MUMPS in 10 years?

Datum: 2023-03-09T14:57:07+0100

Von: "mikeginsburg via Hardhats" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

Wolfgang Giere

Mar 9, 2023, 11:11:16 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

AI values the amount of data input to a topic not the prejudices of so called IT-professionels and teaching gurus. In the real world M's role is quite remarkable. And that is why the input to AI and the basis of ChatGPT is better than expected.

Wolfgang

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2023-03-09T14:47:37+0100

Von: "Joseph Dal Molin" <dalm...@worldvista.org>

An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>

On 2023-03-09 7:08 a.m., Nancy Anthracite wrote:
As long as VistA and Epic survive, I believe there will be MUMPS programmers. You need to understand the internals of VistA and Epic to properly program for it as you well know, and that will be harder to teach AI and there will need to be speed, which some other databases have not been able to provide. Of course, I am not a MUMPS programmer, so you will have to take what I say with the proper grain of salt. I just don't think George Timson can be replaced by a bot when it comes to Fileman, etc.

mikegi...@aol.com

Mar 9, 2023, 11:23:00 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

The country of Jordan, as referenced in Joseph’s email.

Wolfgang Giere

Mar 9, 2023, 11:34:57 AM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, excuse my misunderstanding.

Wolfgang Giere

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Datum: 2023-03-09T17:23:15+0100

r...@rcresearch.us

Mar 9, 2023, 1:26:53 PM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Great to her from you, my dear friend, Wolfgang;

The Jordan that they speak of is the Country of Jordan who is
doing their entire National Health system based on VistA. There are
also, banks and transit systems that still use MUMPS. We are finding
more use for MUMPS in AI applications. I have a Sudoku Solver
written in MUMPS, the Knight's Tour Problem as a screen saver that has
over a billion solutions thus far and it saves every 100th solution.
So many of the current whiz-bang apps seem to be rehashes of older
more elegant solutions, many taken from MUMPS and hidden under
wrappers. The real power of a solution is in how well it works with
other applications and how well it can be supported and expanded at
the point of care or transaction. trying to get a vendor to make the
one-size-fits-all to make it work better for your staff is the ability
for the local support programmer to make changes in the field in a
timely fashion, a day or two and not the 18 to 24 months and massive
cost that vendors want for such actions. The acceptability to
different OSs and computer architectures is just a huge plus for MUMPS.

Your friend; Chris Richrdson

Quoting Wolfgang Giere <W.G...@t-online.de>:

> Thanks, excuse my misunderstanding.
>
> Wolfgang Giere
>

> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Betreff: RE: [Hardhats] Who will know MUMPS in 10 years?
> Datum: 2023-03-09T17:23:15+0100
> Von: "mikeginsburg via Hardhats" <hard...@googlegroups.com>
> An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>
>

> The country of Jordan, as referenced in Joseph’s email.

Nancy Anthracite

Mar 9, 2023, 3:27:35 PM3/9/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
I have yet to see a single update or news story mentioning the second panel at
the meeting. This is truly discouraging. We can hope the representatives at
the meeting all got the point and will run with it as the press sure isn't.

--
Nancy Anthracite

On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 10:44:47 AM EST Nancy Anthracite wrote:
> I wrote to the reporter. He said the second part of the meeting went beyond
> his deadline but the story will be updated this AM!!

Wolfgang Giere

Mar 10, 2023, 5:12:00 AM3/10/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the interesting explantation, dear Chris! But it always was clear to me that Mumps was underestimated by the professional IT community. We (especially Wolfgang Kirsten, me and others) offered Mumps courses at the university. And I still like to program in Mumps.

Wolfgang

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: AW: [Hardhats] Who will know MUMPS in 10 years?
Datum: 2023-03-09T19:27:05+0100
Von: "r...@rcresearch.us" <r...@rcresearch.us>
An: "hard...@googlegroups.com" <hard...@googlegroups.com>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hardhats/20230309182648.Horde.jt-pCR2od9jGbGyVhJOnqzR%40webmail.rcresearch.us.

Steven McPhelan

Mar 10, 2023, 9:53:39 AM3/10/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com
Reading George's statement, the first thing that popped into my mind was "has M moved into its Cobol phase".

Steve
Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech - Benjamin Franklin

Greg Kreis

Mar 24, 2023, 4:14:33 PM3/24/23
to hard...@googlegroups.com

I have played some with GPT4 (plan to do more after my next class) and I have seen a big improvements in reasoning and wording (haven't done much in the way of code generation with it). It was very helpful in negotiating contract wording and suggesting alternate wording.

The thing that really shows promise is plug-ins. You can teach GPT4 how to call out to APIs for real time information (not just the dataset trained to 2021). It can suggest a local restaurant, plan a meal, calculate the calories and place an order for the ingredients via Instacart.

So imagine creating plugins for it to access FM databases to write reports. To find relationships or anomalies in the data. To write application modules/patches, create KIDS releases, install them in an account and test them! How about evaluate a patch or version release to see if it conforms to the SACC and other release rules (such as logic errors, test inputs and confirm outputs).

Plugins could be the big change that makes it relevant to many different communities of users. (It could also be a way for it to do bad things...)

So to answer your question George. It won't take an army of MUMPS programmers. The existing coders just need to get comfortable with an eager AI assistant and pass the torch to enough others (human and machine) to keep it alive.

Sure, I am thinking pretty far ahead, BUT we can see a way now.

Who knows what will be created?

http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats
Greg Kreis
Pioneer Data Systems, Inc.