Festival Director Recommendations

Chris Peck

Nov 1, 2022, 8:03:56 PM11/1/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I hope this works. I've only read these posts and not actually written one.
I am the new Area 8 Chair and am looking for recommendations for men and women mass ringing directors for our 2024 festival.

I am particularly looking for directors who are easy to work with, are flexible, are enjoyed and appreciated by ringers, and who know what they're doing in front of 200 ringers.

Please respond to me here or to my email address: chair...@handbellmusicians.org

Thanks,
Chris Peck,
Chair, Area 8

THOMAS SIMPSON

Nov 1, 2022, 8:12:35 PM11/1/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Easy to work with AND flexible?

That knocks out like 80% of the people on this list.

🤣🤣🤣

Thomas

Charles Peery

Nov 1, 2022, 8:17:11 PM11/1/22
to 'TimR' via Handbell-l
Wait. I’d see more of a conflict between “knows what to do in front of 200 people” and “flexible” than between the two things you listed.
I know I’m setting myself up here.  HAHA
Chuck in Palm Springs

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Brian Seemann

Nov 1, 2022, 8:45:24 PM11/1/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
My strong suggestion is to make an effort to find younger/newer names. There are a ton of great younger conductors in the handbell world who are more than capable of leading mass ringing events, but don't often get the chance as everyone reaches for the same top 5 names.

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but there is often a difference between great composer and great conductor. Just because their name is on a lot of music, does not always mean they are a good teacher/conductor.

--
Brian Seemann

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Jason Krug

Nov 1, 2022, 9:33:25 PM11/1/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I'd also suggest talking to other area chairs and organizers of long-running festivals for suggestions (both of whom to have and whom not to have). Some smaller regional and state festivals have been running for years and those organizers and frequent attendees will have seen a large number of clinicians. (Plus, with smaller festivals, they may, as Brian suggested, have had some less-well-known clinicians and can give you opinions on them.)

Jason

"Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but there is often a difference between great composer and great conductor. Just because their name is on a lot of music, does not always mean they are a good teacher/conductor."

AMEN

Stephanie WIltse
(Who you callin' old?) :-)
Grand Rapids

bfbfb...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2022, 12:58:03 AM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris,

Check out Ellie Hodder.  She was just in Arizona and seemed to be well liked.  She knows her stuff.

Barb Brocker

Ellie Hodder

Nov 2, 2022, 1:17:14 AM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I 2nd Stephanie’s post!! Ellie

--
Ellie Hodder
• Director of Music Ministries, Murray Hills Christian Church

503-730-9311 cell/txt

Kyle Webber

Nov 2, 2022, 6:41:22 AM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
3rd for Stephanie’s post!  :)

Kyle Webber

Nov 2, 2022, 6:42:52 AM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I guess that was Brian’s initial post.  Sorry, Brian!  You get a 3rd regardless.  LOL!

J.-C. Coolen

Nov 2, 2022, 7:58:18 AM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Stuart Sladden (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)--**wonderful** massed handbell director! He conducted at the OGEHR festival a few years ago, and also was one of the Canadian conductors at the '16 IHS in Vancouver.

jc

James Walters

Nov 2, 2022, 12:32:14 PM11/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Jason Krug directed our festival earlier this year. He did an outstanding job of teaching our young ringers and was well received.

Peace,
James Walters
Redlands Adventist Academy
Handbells

To teach is to learn twice. - Joseph Joubert

LadyBug Crossing

Nov 2, 2022, 11:25:15 PM11/2/22
to Handbell-l
My 2 cents:  After ringing under lots of directors, I suggest someone who has a downbeat you can see from the back of the room… someone who isn’t “flowy or swishy”… ringers who are there to learn don’t need a director who thinks everyone on the floor is a music major…

Arnold Rawls

Nov 3, 2022, 1:06:13 AM11/3/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Stephanie Rhodes!

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

Arnold Rawls, D.M.A.,  Lyrico Spinto Tenor
Artist in Residence •  White's Chapel Methodist  •  Southlake, Texas
Metropolitan Opera •  Dallas Opera  •  Bregenzer Festspiele
Opera Australia  •  Frankfurt Oper

Management:
Encompass Arts, New York, NY
Kathy Olsen, Manager

Wendy Cheng

Dec 7, 2022, 9:48:39 PM12/7/22
to Handbell-l
I second Stephanie Rhoades and Jason Krug.

Area 3 had them as clinicians for our annual "Bells at the Beach" handbell festival recent years and we liked them.

Wendy

Wendy Cheng
Director, White Oak Ringers
Silver Spring MD