Experience with a Microphone

bfbfb...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2021, 7:14:21 PM6/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com

I need the wisdom of the group.  The mike on my laptop for making a teaching video is limited to my speaking directly into it.  Playing a bell tree doesn’t work well.  I’m thinking about adding a microphone.  I’ve checked out Best Buy and they suggested Snowball by Blue for $69.00.  Does anyone have any experience with that?

Barb Brocker

Jason Krug

Jun 26, 2021, 7:27:04 PM6/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
I recently bought this one for making bell recordings, and it works great. Ten dollars cheaper than the Snowball.

That said, I know folks who have had good results with the Snowball (I have the Blue Yeti and am happy with it), so I think it would be a good choice, as well.

Jason

Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

bfbfb...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2021, 7:31:47 PM6/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Jason.  And great job today.  I marvel at how fast you compose.

bb

Charles Peery

Jun 26, 2021, 9:18:00 PM6/26/21
to 'TimR' via Handbell-l
Barbara, I have a Blue Snowball, I bought it to record harp.  It works but I don’t like it that well in terms of sound quality.  To close and the sound is unpleasant, too far away and the pickup falls way off pretty fast and I’m getting extraneous noises. I’ve had instrumentalists tell me I bought the wrong mic because it was built primarily as a podcast mic.  Who knew?

Chuck in Palm Springs

On Jun 26, 2021, at 4:14 PM, <bfbfb...@gmail.com> <bfbfb...@gmail.com> wrote:

I need the wisdom of the group.  The mike on my laptop for making a teaching video is limited to my speaking directly into it.  Playing a bell tree doesn’t work well.  I’m thinking about adding a microphone.  I’ve checked out Best Buy and they suggested Snowball by Blue for $69.00.  Does anyone have any experience with that?
Barb Brocker

Ellie Hodder

Jun 26, 2021, 9:37:19 PM6/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
A good microphone is worth it. Learning how to create an optimal audio mix is transformative. It’s a partnership IMHO. Best, Ellie

--
Ellie Hodder
• Director of Music Ministries, Murray Hills Christian Church

503-730-9311 cell/txt

bfbfb...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2021, 9:43:44 PM6/26/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Chuck.  That helps a lot.

bb

Linda Krantz

Jun 27, 2021, 5:23:54 PM6/27/21
to Handbell-L
I bought a Blue Yeti USB mic, and have done all my solo recording with it.  It is not a podcast mic, and it is more expensive, but I think it has worked well for me.  It is a trick to figure out exactly how far or how close the mic should be, that’s for sure.  It takes a bit of experimentation.  But once you figure it out, you’re good to go.

Linda Krantz
After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

bfbfb...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2021, 10:47:09 PM6/27/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Linda!

Centenary UMC McComb

Jun 28, 2021, 11:02:22 AM6/28/21
to Handbell-l
Several years ago I bought an Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic. I've used it for everything from recording vocals (during my virtual voice lessons) and recording for Filmscores. It's worked very well, similar to the Yeti or Snowball. I've yet to record bells with it as we record live through our soundboard at church.

Guitar (close proximity, between fretboard & soundhole): https://soundcloud.com/christopher-w-hart/7m1-trapper#t=0:31
Christopher Hart

Ellie Hodder

Jun 28, 2021, 11:48:25 AM6/28/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Agree. I have an Audio Tecnica 2035 which is my go-to. AND the more I learn about audio editing, the better the output. Ellie

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

mon...@mjsterncpa.com

Jun 28, 2021, 1:47:18 PM6/28/21
to handb...@googlegroups.com

I have one of those and it is great.  Any Blue product is a good choice.

Monica J. Stern, CPA

Monica J. Stern, CPA, PLLC

11225 N. 28th Drive, Suite A-100

Phoenix, AZ 85029