What kind of bells are these?

1godfo...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2021, 8:41:34 PM12/22/21
to Handbell-l
45BC8B8B-6AA4-4652-9B55-CB6A45CBB340.jpeg20614EE7-050F-420C-8324-FDADF689A59B.jpegHello bell wisdom!

I won an auction for 18 pitched bells.  They have leather handles and some numbers and letters on them.  No clappers.  What are they, how to best clean them?  Photos attached. Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you!
Lynne Lightfoot

TimR

Jan 2, 2022, 7:43:15 PM1/2/22
to Handbell-l
Those are interesting.  No brand name at all?  Do they at least have the pitches marked, and strike points?

The edge of the rim looks really thick, much thicker than the bells I've used (Schulmerich and Malmark).

If you ring one with a mallet what does it sound like?

Pennydutch

Jan 2, 2022, 8:13:29 PM1/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Could they be Petit & Fritzen?

Janet

Sent from my iPhone

--
Post: handb...@googlegroups.com
Subscribe: handbell-l...@googlegroups.com

THOMAS SIMPSON

Jan 2, 2022, 8:13:49 PM1/2/22
to handb...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Are they maybe cup bells? Are the stamped “Mears” anywhere?

Thomas

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 2, 2022, at 5:07 PM, TimR <timoth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Those are interesting.  No brand name at all?  Do they at least have the pitches marked, and strike points?

1godfo...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2022, 12:09:54 AM1/3/22
to Handbell-l
One has a WD, which Susan Nelson and others think is William Dunn.  A couple have HS, for Henry Symonson, both bell manufacturers in the 1800’s.  Many are numbered.  They are drilled as if they once had clappers, but also came with brackets like they were suspended horizontally on a rod.  No pitch marks or strike points.  They do run sharp when I tried to figure out the pitch!  I’m going to clean them with some simichrome and see how they come out.  More photos are available on Facebook Handbell people if you want to see more.

Thanks!
Lynne