The WWV Frequency Celebration: Live Stream March 2, 2023

Gary Mikitin, AF8A

Mar 2, 2023, 11:04:44 AM3/2/23
to HamSCI

Join the WWV Amateur Radio Club, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery (FCMoD), and the HamSCI for two excellent lectures to be live streamed on March 2, 2023 at 5:00PM Mountain Std Time (0000 UTC):

  • The History of WWV Frequency Broadcasts - Glenn Nelson, WWV Staff, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
  • WWV as a Beacon for Citizen Science - Dr. David Kazdan and Rachel Boedicker - Case Western Reserve University/HamSCI  Aidan Montare - NIST Boulder/HamSCI

The event will be streamed via the Northern Colorado ARC YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/NCARC. Follow and choose the LIVE link, sit back, and enjoy!  (Note:  The lectures may not start exactly at the top of the hour - so be prepared to 'stand by' until the speakers take the stage.)

The lectures are being presented as part of Tune In: The WWV Frequency Celebration, being held on March 2-4 at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery, 408 Mason Ct, Fort Collins, Colorado, and throughout the month of March on the ham radio airwaves.

Additional details on the activities from Fort Collins, as well as announcement of a week long on-the-air event featuring the WW0WWV callsign, can be found here: https://wwvarc.org/WWVFrequencyCelebration

This information is also available at the HamSCI website .

Gerald Creager

Mar 2, 2023, 11:56:14 AM3/2/23
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Wish I'd seen this earlier! I'm close enough to have made the pilgrimage  to Boulder and Ft Collins for the tours, but they're full-up now. I got a really nice tour of the WWV site when a colleague arranged it 20 years ago in conjunction with an Internet2 Joint Techs meeting at NIST.

gerry N5JXS

Maj Gerry Creager

National Health Services Advisory Team

Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

(M) 979.229.5301

GoCivilAirPatrol.com

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

Dustin Reyes

Mar 4, 2023, 5:34:28 PM3/4/23
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I watched the livestream and it was very cool to see the group's efforts being discussed for a wider audience; in case anyone missed it, it's archived on YT here (with timestamp): https://youtu.be/_RqsGnHzvMw?t=4953

-Dustin KD2LOF

Gary Mikitin, AF8A

Mar 4, 2023, 6:23:30 PM3/4/23
to HamSCI
Thanks much, Dustin, for posting the YouTube link.  Hats off to the Northern Colorado ARC for hosting the video.

The WWV ARC and the FCModD deserve a lot of credit for pulling off what looked to be a great event.  Hopefully, they inspired some of the museum's visitors to look further into the hobby of radio.  As I say on my QRZ.com page, "I will be forever thankful to those who taught me how to work the world with some RF and a hunk of wire".

73 de Gary, AF8A

Gerald Creager