Grapes Funded for 2023/2024 Eclipse Study

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Aug 2, 2022, 4:32:49 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Hi, HamSCI!

I’m very happy to tell you that we just received a 3-year NSF grant to use the Grape Personal Space Weather Stations to studying the ionospheric impact of the 2023 and 2024 solar eclipses, as well as ionospheric variability that occurs at dawn and dusk. Here are some of the science questions we are going to be working to address:
  1. How do dawn and dusk ionospheric variability as observed by HF Doppler shift measurements vary with local time, season, latitude, longitude, frequency, distance, and direction from the transmitter?
  2. Is eclipse ionospheric response symmetric with regard to onset and recovery timing?
  3. How similar is the eclipse to daily dawn and dusk terminator passage?
  4. Do we observe multipath HF mode-splitting in the post-eclipse interval that is similar to dawn events?
  5. How is the response different for the southward Annular eclipse in 2023 compared to the northward Total eclipse of 2024?
This grant will fund about 30 Grape v2 receivers to be deployed across the US and Canada, as well as support for a PhD student at Case Western and MS Software Engineering student at Scranton. We will also work to make additional Grapes available for purchase to volunteers. These Grapes will be using signals from both WWV and CHU for these studies.

I’d like to thank many people for helping us get this grant, including Kristina Collins KD8OXT, David Kazdan AD8Y, John Gibbons N8OBJ, Rachel Boedicker AC8XY, Christian Zorman, Bill Engelke AB4EJ, Steve Cerwin WA5FRF, Phil Erickson W1PJE, Mary Lou West KC2NMC, Bob Gerzoff WK2Y, Rachel Frissell W2RUF, and the entire HamSCI Grape Personal Space Weather Station team.

Here are some press releases:
If you would like to participate, please join us at our Thursday 10 AM Eastern telecons! See https://hamsci.org/get-involved for more info.

73 Nathaniel W2NAF

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell, Ph.D., W2NAF
HamSCI Lead / Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Electrical Engineering
University of Scranton
(973) 787-4506

Kim, Hyomin

Aug 2, 2022, 4:51:58 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Congratulations!
Perhaps, our HamSCI magnetometer network can be implemented into this new effort?

Hyomin
NJIT logoHyomin Kim
Assistant Professor
Physics
Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research
Institute for Space Weather Sciences

hm...@njit.edu • (973) 596-5704
https://web.njit.edu/~hmkim/
104 Tiernan Hall, 161 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07102

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

Ward Silver

Aug 2, 2022, 5:04:13 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Wow - that's great news!  Good job to all involved.

Maybe we'll find out the true nature of the Black Hole of HF Propagation in the midwest!

I'll be happy to participate with a very quiet site for a Grape installation in central Missouri.

73, Ward N0AX

Phil Erickson

Aug 2, 2022, 5:16:11 PM8/2/22
to Unknown, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Hi Ward,

  Is that why all these west coast hams (like N6QW) are repeatedly pointing to no DX at all on their radios and saying "Cycle 25 is a Bust"?  I'm getting very very tired of trying to answer these questions and have essentially given up.  Maybe you can help me by pointing to something, anything?

73
Phil W1PJE

--
----
Phil Erickson

Gerald Creager

Aug 2, 2022, 5:30:14 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Congratulations on another success! I can offer a decent site in Colorado Springs at 7300 ft Mel.

73
Gerry N5JXS

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

Maj Gerry Creager

National Health Services Advisory Team

Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

(M) 979.229.5301

GoCivilAirPatrol.com

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

Bob Gerzoff

Aug 2, 2022, 6:54:44 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape

Now you’re really batting a 1000.  Congratulations!!!

Steve Kaeppler

Aug 2, 2022, 8:58:34 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathaniel-

Congratulations on the win! That is wonderful news! If the offer is
there, I'd be happy to have some equipment down here at Clemson for
the eclipse.

As an aside, I am also happy to hear your proposal reviewed pretty
quickly. That is a good sign. I seem to remember you putting this in
back in May.

Congratulations again and 73,
Steve
AD0AE
> --
> Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.
> ---

Steve Kaeppler
steve.k...@gmail.com
cell: 262-707-0932
Amateur Radio Call: AD0AE/6

Steve Davidson K3FZT

Aug 2, 2022, 9:03:01 PM8/2/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on the award and funding. It takes a big team to do big work. Thank you for sharing their identities with us.

I have a Grape1 that was transferred to me from WA2UAR and I've been streaming data for about two weeks now. I hope to continue with the next stage of the project.

73 de K3FZT / Steve
--
Steven Davidson K3FZT
6925 Scotforth Rd | Philadelphia, PA 19119-3711

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 4:32 PM Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. <nathaniel...@scranton.edu> wrote:

Phil Erickson

Aug 2, 2022, 10:29:59 PM8/2/22
to Unknown
HI Nathaniel,

  Congratulations. I've passed the news along to Haystack.  We'll remember this as we try to solidify plans for the April 2024 event, whenever we find time to do it.  I guess if we don't get it right, we just wait 20 years and repeat.  Never mind that, then.

  Terrific.  We'll hit this eclipse with everything we have and then hopefully spend some years scratching heads at what happened.  Doing a OSSE (observational system simulation experiment) will be essential early on in the project to convince people that useful information on drivers can be disambiguated, as you and I and Kristina have previously discussed.

73
Phil W1PJE

Mike Ruohoniemi

Aug 3, 2022, 12:36:17 PM8/3/22
to HamSCI, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Wonderful news, Nathaniel! Congratulations to you and the entire HamSCI team!

Mike

Robert McGwier

Aug 3, 2022, 1:11:26 PM8/3/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, TangerineSDR Listserv, hamsci-grape
Congratulations!! I can't wait to enhance the ionosonde we used in the last eclipse. Three masters degrees and one PhD.

Dr. Robert W McGwier, Ph.D.
Adjunct Faculty, Virginia Tech
Affiliated Faculty, U of Scranton
ARDC Member of Board
N4HY: ARRL, TAPR, AMSAT, EARC
Sky: AAVSO, Sky360, Auburn AS, Skyscrapers

Dan Layne

Aug 3, 2022, 9:43:35 PM8/3/22
to HamSCI
Congratulations to the PSWS team!  Dr. Richard Russel, myself and others from the Deep Space Exploration Society (DSES) have been following the development of both the Tangerine SDR and Grape PSWS. We have participated in HamSCI workshops and a couple of the eclipse festivals. Please add DSES to the list of sites that would like to acquire and field one of the new Grape PSWS when they become available. We have a remote, radio-quiet location in Southeastern Colorado where we operate a 60' radio telescope and other equipment for both ham radio and radio astronomy.

Dan Layne, AD0CY
Science Lead
Deep Space Exploration Society

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Aug 5, 2022, 2:44:28 PM8/5/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for everyone’s good wishes!

I’ve replied to each person individually. I’m looking forward to working on this project over the next few years.

73 Nathaniel W2NAF