Arecibo Will Close Its Doors

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 13, 2022, 12:17:47 PM10/13/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

It is with deep sorrow that I post this:

NSF has announced it will cease Scientific  operations At the Arecibo Observatory on September 30, 2023.

I’s been a great ride! (45 years for me!)

Official NSF press release here:

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/arecibo/

73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Peter Laws

Oct 13, 2022, 12:34:02 PM10/13/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
I have absolutely no issue with education facility to "Promote STEM education, learning, and
teaching" but why are we unable to apply any of that science, technology, engineering, or math?

Someone thinks encouraging kids to study "STEM" amidst the ruins of a triumph of science, technology, engineering, and math ... that we can't seem to rebuild ... seems counter-productive.

Did I read right that any other observatory operations are ending as well?

Peter

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

Peter Laws | N5UWY / VE2UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 13, 2022, 12:45:05 PM10/13/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, Scientific operations will end on that day unless for example,  some entity “buys” the site.

73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Ward Silver

Oct 13, 2022, 6:31:17 PM10/13/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Well, there we have it.  Arecibo had a wonderful ride and so many firsts - thanks for being part of that Angel.

73, Ward N0AX

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 11:17 AM Angel M. Vazquez <an...@naic.edu> wrote:

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 14, 2022, 9:01:45 AM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ward,

Gracias amigo…

Vy 73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Well, there we have it.  Arecibo had a wonderful ride and so many firsts - thanks for being part of that Angel.

73, Ward N0AX

Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D.

Oct 14, 2022, 9:18:30 AM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Angel,

I am so sorry to hear about that. Thank you for all of the great work you and the observatory have done over the years. It is truly inspiring! I do hope that the new education/outreach center (or however the community goes forward) will continue to inspire people and move science forward.

73 Nathaniel W2NAF

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 14, 2022, 2:13:09 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nathan,

Thanks and we also hope whoever takes over will continue to inspire generations to come.

Vy 73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Marcus D. Leech

Oct 14, 2022, 2:19:20 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-10-14 14:16, Angel M. Vazquez wrote:

Hi Nathan,

Thanks and we also hope whoever takes over will continue to inspire generations to come.

Vy 73,

Angel WP3R

Angel:

I met you and the "crew" when I was there testing a new riometer design probably 8 or 9 years ago.  It was a formative
  and humbling experience being there, and everyone there was super-competent and helpful.

It is very sad to know that was my first and LAST time seeing the Arecibo Radio Telescope "alive".

I hope that wherever life takes you now, it is at least a significant fraction as satisfying as running that beautiful instrument
  for so many decades.

My very warmest best wishes to you and the crew there.

Marcus Leech
President
Canadian Centre for Experimental Radio Astronomy
http://www.ccera.ca

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 14, 2022, 2:38:31 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marcus,

Good to hear from you and I do remember those tests. I’ve been very lucky and fortunate during my tenure  to have a such great staff and co-workers to navigate that amazing instrument for so many years and of course many of you on HamSci as amazing users of the site.

Thanks for being part of the journey as well..

Best regards,

Angel

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Oct 14, 2022, 3:01:39 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Angel,

I've not sent something already because I'm just at a loss as to what to say. I think this decision is short-sighted: There's a lot of science still left to do. Rebuilding would be expensive, but the results, especially with the greater emphasis on outreach and STEM would be a winner for Puerto Rico and the US overall.

Thank you for everything you've done over the years. It can't be overestimated.

73
Gerry N5JXS

Maj Gerry Creager

National Health Services Advisory Team

Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

(M) 979.229.5301

GoCivilAirPatrol.com

Volunteers serving America's communities, saving lives, and shaping futures.

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 14, 2022, 3:10:50 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gerry,

I appreciate  the kind words and I echo your sentiments my friend.

Thanks for your service Major.

Vy 73,

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Phil Erickson

Oct 14, 2022, 4:36:53 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angel,

  We first met in the Arecibo control room in spring 1990, when I was there with Wes Swartz and Don Farley to do a high altitude IS radar experiment.  You were unfailingly kind and helpful to a confused Cornell graduate student still figuring his way around the racks of equipment and how to set up a run through application of interminable numbers of black BNC patch cables on the dozen floor to ceiling 19" racks.  (And you also reassured me when Mike Sulzer grabbed the UHF klystron tuning controls and proceeded to create loud banging noises in the TX hall.)

  That data with a couple other ones formed the core of my thesis.  It was one small example of the outstanding, dedicated, and completely inspiring service to our whole community, which still continues.  All I can say is: we appreciate you and everything you've done in more ways than I can possibly express.  Many friends out here will agree.

  During Maria, the island adopted "Puerto Rico Se Levanta", and you were a core part of that spirit at Arecibo.  I think we need to adapt it now to

Angel Se Levanta

  which seems only fitting.  Saludos (and tell Eva I said so!) -

73
Phil W1PJE

--
Please follow the HamSCI Community Participation Guidelines at http://hamsci.org/hamsci-community-participation-guidelines.

----
Phil Erickson
phil.e...@gmail.com

Angel M. Vazquez

Oct 14, 2022, 5:54:16 PM10/14/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com

Hi Phil.

   Eva and I were deeply touched by your words my friend. Arecibo is STILL in her heart also, even  after her resigning in 2019 after 30 years. We both have super fond memories of those times.

Wes Swartz and Don Farley, two amazing scientists. Your pedigree is unquestionable amigo. I still remember Wes, with his crew cut and impeccable clean cut appearance. He could have been one of those TV dad’s from the 50’s and 60’s TV sitcoms.  (One of the last guys I saw with a pocket protector!!).

   And yes, you atmospheric guys had the most complicated setups! Used up ALL the cables!

  You were the first one  I thought of when I mentioned AO users. Probably know you more years than any other on this reflector.

   I have to admit, those Cornell days were the best my friend.. Another great thing was that users like you, actually came to the site and we all had a chance to pick your guys’ brains on the experiments that were running. We learned “mucho” from  all of you amigo.

Thanks for ALWAYS being there “hermano”.

Abrazos form Eva and me.

Vy 73 & 88’s,

Eva KP4EVA

Angel WP3R

Angel M. Vazquez

Head of Telescope Operations &

Puerto Rico Cordination Zone Spectrum Manager

Arecibo Observatory  –  www.naic.edu

Yang Enterprises Inc.

(787)878-2612 ext.304

Oct 15, 2022, 10:21:35 AM10/15/22
to ham...@googlegroups.com, Angel M. Vazquez, Elizabeth Torres
Hi Angel.. are you going to be part of the educational outreach center?

I am thinking of coming to PR for the SACNAS conference Oct 27-29 and that might be a good place to find folks willing to work on this.
NASA has a "bridge" program for underserved students..  SMD Bridge Program website
My good friend Elizabeth Torres is an award-winning educator there.

Might be a way to fund experiments for students to perform with scientist mentors…

I brought one of our portable planetarium domes to Arecibo for Bill Gordon’s 90th birthday.

Umbe and I had a great time up in the air, thanks to Rich Behnke