Chainsaw mill

morr...@gmail.com

May 29, 2021, 9:40:13 AM5/29/21
to Halifax Makerspace
I'm contemplating getting a chain saw mill to transform some big dead fall in our backyard into lumber, e.g. for garden beds, and maybe more refined lumber.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?

youtube is bombarding me with options from:
1) do it freehand
2) DIY a simple thing from plywood
3) spend a few hundred
4) get a $5000 portable sawmill
5) build #4

Shawn Wilson

May 29, 2021, 9:50:20 AM5/29/21
to Halifax Makerspace
My FIL got a guy in for a day to run his mill.  We supplied the bodies.  Might be an option for you.

I think the guy's mill was a DIY bandsaw made from an old K car.  Worked good.

Wade

May 29, 2021, 10:40:25 AM5/29/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi all,

Brand new here so let me know if i'm messing anything up.

I am in the middle of this same choice and i'm leaning towards options 5. I am trying to understand what I need for the bandsaw itself. There is option 6) Rent a portable mill. I am fairly new to NS, and it has blown me away how many people in the country run small mills and have portable mill for rent. A couple tips I've heard is to not forget about how much shrinking there will be as the wood dries. If you want 1" boards you need 2" slab for drying and dimensioning (kind of thing). Also to coat the ends on the log to prevent uneven drying and checking.

Bill Morrow

May 29, 2021, 12:27:57 PM5/29/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 11:40, Wade <wadehu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Brand new here so let me know if i'm messing anything up.

You are not messing anything up, this group is intended to be a civilized free for all.

I am in the middle of this same choice and i'm leaning towards options 5.
You are more ambitious than me! I am leaning towards #2. Like this: https://youtu.be/a47IL_Fxb8E
As the presenter says, it's a low commitment solution.