laser cutting aluminum

morr...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2021, 9:53:42 PM2/2/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Is it possible to cut through very thin aluminum with our laser cutter?

I would like to make the attached slotted disk, from something opaque and stiff.

It could be black cardboard, which I could varnish or epoxy or something to make it stay flat.

Or maybe thin acrylic will work. Or thickish mylar fil?

Diameter is 15mm and the slots should be as thin as the laser beam. Thickness no more than 2mm.

It's for a photointerrupter rotation sensor.
speed_disk2.svg

Shawn Wilson

Feb 3, 2021, 6:22:00 AM2/3/21
to Halifax Makerspace
No, it won't touch aluminum.  I have some black plastic notebook covers I could leave at the space for you? I think they cut nicely and I don't think they contain chlorine, but should probably double check.

morr...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2021, 6:22:18 PM2/3/21
to Halifax Makerspace
How melty does that get when you cut it? I would like sharp edges.

Shawn Wilson

Feb 3, 2021, 6:27:07 PM2/3/21
to Halifax Makerspace
It's been a while since I cut it. I think it cuts well, but I don't know how rigid it is. I will drop some off next time I am in anyway and you can play around with it, if you're interested.  It's just garbage to me, but seemed too useful.

morr...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2021, 9:07:40 AM2/4/21
to Halifax Makerspace
OK, great. Will let you know.

Thanks, Shawn!

Baha Baydar

Feb 4, 2021, 10:45:15 AM2/4/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Would 3D printing on a resin printer be possible?

That should have enough detail to make the very thin lines in the disk.