FREE Electronics Donation from HomeEXCEPT.com

John Robertson

Jul 22, 2021, 12:04:52 PM7/22/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi Folks, I'm John Founder of HomeEXCEPT.com here in Halifax. We have a few hundred of our early generation technology that we want to donate instead of recycle. Great fun for electronics makers who want try out various ambient sensors. Each unit has about $200 street value of components.

Yes. They are free.

Here's video of what's in the units. https://youtu.be/rxOqe0CSeek

If you're interested send me a note here. First come, first serve.

Shawn Wilson

Jul 22, 2021, 12:50:02 PM7/22/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing, John.  That seems to be a cool little unit.  Some questions:
1) I assume you want to donate all of them to a single taker?   Is each unit individually boxed?  You said there were hundreds.  How much space do they take up?
2) Are there power supplies for them?  If not, what do they need for power?
3) Is there any documentation publicly available for your sensor board?
4) Are the SD cards formatted?  If not, are you able to share the root password for them?

Thanks,
Shawn

morr...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2021, 1:27:31 PM7/22/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi John,
Definitely interested. I can take them off your hands, and make them available to anyone who would like one.

Bill

John Robertson

Jul 22, 2021, 2:39:42 PM7/22/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Thanks for your interest guys. Perhaps the easiest thing is stop by and take a look. The inventory takes up about a 6 x 6 x 8 footprint. I'm in the North End if you want to text me.... 902-710-6008. If Bill can take them and hand out to anyone interested that would be awesome.

Cheers

Martin Bruchanov

Jul 22, 2021, 4:25:47 PM7/22/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi, interesting, I would take a few to play with :)

Looks like it is based on RaLink RT5370N.

Thank you!
BruXy

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mobile: (+01) 902-476-2756
Homepage: http://bruxy.regnet.cz/
Email: bru...@gmail.com, br...@regnet.cz
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruxy

Baha Baydar

Jul 22, 2021, 4:40:25 PM7/22/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in a few as well.

--
Baha Baydar
bba...@gmail.com

Bill Morrow

Jul 22, 2021, 6:01:01 PM7/22/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of town for the weekend, leaving about noon tomorrow. Is Monday ok

John Robertson

Jul 22, 2021, 9:07:02 PM7/22/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good. Cheers.

---
John Robertson
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Halifax Makerspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/halifaxmakerspace/CAELu5kH%3DoFp6fB8QSy_Pb4khGOVZZVuWaSpaYYh22UtDJObmQg%40mail.gmail.com.

David hamp-gonsalves

Jul 24, 2021, 7:04:07 PM7/24/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
I would love a few of these units whenever they are ready to be distributed.

morr...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2021, 11:02:05 AM7/26/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Hi all, I picked up a little over half of John's donation this morning. I haven't done a serious count but there are about:

* 500 or more of the HOMEexcept devices John shows in his video. These include
 - 16 GB SD card
 - https://www.acmesystems.it/arietta Arietta G25 - Linux embedded system on module with added wifi module
- HOMEexcept sensor board as John described
* a few tens of Raspberry PI 4 enclosures
   - I am claiming one for picking up the donation, and will kick some funds to HMS in return.

There's miscellaneous other equipment in one box I haven't gone through yet. Some wall wart power supplies, Rock64 Pi knockoff.

If you are interested in any of this collection, let me know and we can meet up get it to you.

Thank you for the treasure trove, John!

John Robertson

Jul 26, 2021, 12:01:04 PM7/26/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com, morr...@gmail.com
You’re very welcome. Thank-you for picking it up.

---
John Robertson

morr...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2021, 6:37:38 PM7/26/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Update:
1) I found more goodies. John, please let me know if any of this was included by mistake.
   * a 4 GB Raspberry Pi 4, c/w kit of cooling fan, heat sinks, case
   * Rock64 Pi clone, c/w case and power supply
   * a couple of fairly decent soldering irons. Not temperature controlled at first glance
   * nRF52833 development kit, three of them. This is a high end Arduino ecosystem board: https://www.nordicsemi.com/Products/Development-hardware/nRF52833-DK/GetStarted#infotabs

I would like to use the Pi 4 as a 3D printer controller, on the Monoprice for now, and for both the Monoprice and Prusa printers when we have them together.

2) I got one of the Ariettta G25 SOCs to boot using the Debian Jessie image provided by Acme Systems. https://www.acmesystems.it/download_arietta  It's about as responsive as Pi 2

I'm updating Debian to a more recent version, and will include a copy of the SD card with any I'm distributing.

John Robertson

Jul 26, 2021, 8:24:27 PM7/26/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
All good. Anything there is for you to use.

Cheers

---
John Robertson

Shawn Wilson

Jul 27, 2021, 8:51:49 AM7/27/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Thanks, Bill, I am sure having a ready-to-go SD will save a lot of people a lot of time.

Shawn Wilson

Jul 27, 2021, 8:40:38 PM7/27/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Bill, I got my goodie box today  :)

morr...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2021, 12:40:45 PM7/28/21
to Halifax Makerspace
I picked up the remainder of John's donation yesterday. He threw in about 20 of an earlier version of their product. It uses (I think) a Particle Boron microcontroller, which does cellular data. https://store.particle.io/collections/cellular/products/boron-lte-cat-m1-noram-ethersim

Includes a power supply so it runs off household power, a 2000mah LiPo battery for backup power and HomeEx's sensor set.

Free for the asking, or a donation to HMS if you are so inclined.

Alpha01_001.jpegAlpha01_002.jpeg

Adam Cox

Jul 28, 2021, 11:01:20 PM7/28/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill,
Thanks for taking this on for the maker community! I don't know how many people have reached out to you so I don't want to be greedy, but if there are hundreds then I'd gladly take a dozen off your hands to run a few projects I've had in mind.
Cheers,
Adam

Bill Morrow

Jul 29, 2021, 11:26:16 AM7/29/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,
There are only about 20 of the cellular based ones. I gave you four (I think) in a box in the laser cutter room, plus some samples of the other stuff.

I think I will ebay the small enclosures. They are worth $20K retail, so even at 10%, worth seeing if we can get some funds.

John Robertson

Jul 29, 2021, 12:36:17 PM7/29/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

Great idea Bill. Love seeing this stuff get put to good use.

---
John Robertson
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Halifax Makerspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/halifaxmakerspace/CAHh_ZUDswmheYD%3DdGExfeujd5Y0k9ZMEggfB2Un25-gb1Dv7Ng%40mail.gmail.com.

John Robertson

Jul 29, 2021, 12:37:10 PM7/29/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com

If you need cheap shipping options check out chitchat express. Especially for the US.

---
John Robertson