Astromech droid group project

Adam Cox

Jan 17, 2021, 7:27:52 PM1/17/21
to Halifax Makerspace
If you tuned in for the Virtual Show-and-Tell we had last week you heard about my proposal to start a group project at the makerspace. I figured this might be a good group-build during COVID because it would lend itself pretty easily to distributing work on different parts of the droid, and this would just be a project for the makerspace and therefore not have a deadline we need to work to.

If you have skills to offer, or have some skills you want to learn, this would be a good opportunity. I expect we will be making use of just about every tool in the space during this build, so it is a chance to get some experience with new tools.

I wanted to kick off this thread to gauge interest and see what kinds of things people might want to participate in.

As I mentioned during the show-and-tell, I think R5-D4 would make a good build for us. You can see an example of a build here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58b5da2i_Os If you have your heart set on another astromech droid you can reply to this thread.

I imagine this will largely involve members of the makerspace, but given the remote nature of the build, there might be a way to involve others. So even if you're not a current member feel free to jump in on this thread.

Cheers,
Adam

Jordan Edsall

Jan 18, 2021, 2:40:52 PM1/18/21
to halifaxm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Adam,
I'm interested in participating - on this occasion would be specifically interested in doing a finite component or two which you find you are in need of, either electronic or 3D printed. I won't intrude as another cook in the kitchen for overarching designs or planning.

spie...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2021, 7:21:31 PM1/18/21
to Halifax Makerspace
I'm interested also. Particularly the software aspects of the project.

spie...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2021, 7:22:52 PM1/18/21
to Halifax Makerspace
Also, here is an example of a Art Deco crossover for R2D2 that might serve as inspiration: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/kzyvy9/artoo_deco_1950s_r2_makeover/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3