VSRE: The next CityCamp Madison will be in September, here's the plan

Erik Paulson

May 17, 2013, 5:33:50 PM5/17/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, Resnick, Scott, distr...@cityofmadison.com
[VSRE stands for 'Very Short Reply Expected', so you should do something with this email]

Friends -

We had kicked around the idea of a CityCamp in June, but at less than a month out, I haven't talked with anyone that feels ready to go. Let's not rush it, and let's skip CityCamp in June.

Instead, let's do it in September. Exact date TBD, but likely either a Saturday when the Badgers are playing an away game, or a Sunday when the Packers have a later game.

Here's the plan.

The September CityCamp will be like the one we did in 2012- structured morning, a lunch break, and then an unconference afternoon session.

For the structured morning, I'd like it to be of three different types of sessions:
A. A keynote or two
B. A couple of talks on some interesting tools (ie Heroku/PostGIS/Codiqa's tools/ScraperWiki/etc)
C. Between three or five talks on local apps

For the keynotes, my hope is to get Soglin to come and talk about challenges the city faces, and to get someone from the Chicago open data/apps scene to come visit and talk about what they're doing. Getting someone from DC might be fun too, but let's see what we can do.

For the local apps, I'm hoping for a mix of things:
- A session or two about modifying software from other cities to work at Madison
- A session or two on how we get people to actually use the software we're deploying. Maybe it's about how we deployed a couple dozen bus kiosks around the city or got a bunch of people signed up for the 2013-14 winter to use adopt-a-hydrant .
- A session or two on a new app or API created using civic data and why it's cool.

You'll note that some of the things I'm suggesting for topics haven't been done yet. That's what this summer is about.

We should get the meetups going again, with a once-a-month frequency. The primary purpose will be to ensure we're making progress towards having these local app projects moving forward and being ready for September, but we'll also be sure to make them so people who aren't interested in working on one of those things have a reason to come, too.

I hope that we can do the first of these meetups near the end of the May, and then another one around the third week of June, and then sometime mid July and Mid August. For August we might try to sync in with Forward Fest, or we might try to avoid it entirely.

I marked this VSRE, and while I'd absolutely welcome longer responses, I'm hoping you'll respond to this email, either to me or to the list, with the following things:
1. A "Good plan" or "bad plan" vote
2. Suggestions on other email lists that need to see this information. build-madison? madisonium? CE? Etc.

Dates will be forthcoming - on the summer meetups, once we secure a space for the first one, and on the CityCamp once we get a sense of speaker availability.

-Erik

Bradley Grzesiak

May 17, 2013, 5:49:55 PM5/17/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
Good plan. I'll forward to madisonium.

Bradley Grzesiak
co-founder, bendyworks inc
http://bendyworks.com/

Marc Brakken

May 17, 2013, 5:54:47 PM5/17/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, Resnick, Scott, distr...@cityofmadison.com
Thanks for thinking and writing through all this, Erik! I say "Good plan".

On meetups, I can definitely propose one at http://www.meetup.com/Civic-hacking-Madison for whenever (should we aim for a regular thing, like every second Tuesday?), and Horizon is definitely available for these (either in the upstairs or downstairs once we have a network down there). We also might want to do an open hack night more frequently, since that's what summer is for :) This rolls off a suggestion Mike Fenchel made, too, of a fortnightly civic hack event.

Marc

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Erik Paulson <epau...@unit1127.com> wrote:

Marc Brakken
Time For the World: TimeFTW.org
PhD Candidate, Geography
University of Wisconsin - Madison

Preston Austin

May 17, 2013, 5:58:52 PM5/17/13
to hackingmadison, Stephanie Rearick, Brian Solomon, Scott Resnick

1. Good Plan

2. I've copied Stephanie Rearick to let TimeBank community know.

I also think we should reach out to south central library, and school district, IT folks - don't know a good list though.

Also: Marc B and I can certainly chedule another meetup for soon at Horizon.

Marc Brakken

May 17, 2013, 6:22:08 PM5/17/13
to hackingmadison, Stephanie Rearick, Brian Solomon, Scott Resnick
Hi,

I've proposed a meetup for May 28th at 5:30: http://www.meetup.com/Civic-hacking-Madison/events/119939132/

If there are substantial objections to that date and time we can adjust it. I haven't in any way checked for conflicts.

Marc

Erik Paulson

May 17, 2013, 7:00:11 PM5/17/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com
I can't make the Tuesday the 28th. I was going to suggest the 27th or 29th.

-Erik

Marc Brakken

May 17, 2013, 7:29:05 PM5/17/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com

Ok. The 27th is Memorial Day, so I'll change it to the 29th when I get a chance later.

Marc

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Marc Brakken <marc.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've proposed a meetup for May 28th at 5:30: http://www.meetup.com/Civic-hacking-Madison...

Greg Tracy

May 18, 2013, 9:39:42 AM5/18/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com

GP

Brad Orego

May 23, 2013, 7:55:15 PM5/23/13
to hacking...@googlegroups.com, Resnick, Scott, distr...@cityofmadison.com
Good Plan. I'm a member of most (if not all) of the tech meetups in town, so I can pass word along to them. I'm also the co-organizer of UXMad, so this could be a good way to get some design-y folks in on the conversation, too, if desired.