Oh dear, the site certificate has expired.

Geoff Hicks

Apr 22, 2020, 12:24:43 AM4/22/20
to Gwyllion
It doesn't seem as though there will ever be any more activity here, which is a very sad situation.

I hope I'm wrong. It might be worth saving the stories and art you enjoy most, now, before it disappears forever.

A fan for life.

robert blau

Apr 22, 2020, 3:06:18 AM4/22/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
I've don't know exactly how it works, but you can ARCHIVE a site at https://archive.org/ (or more specifically http://web.archive.org/). For instance, most of gotfanart.com is archived there.

Best,
RB

Dovid Spinrad

Apr 22, 2020, 11:23:07 AM4/22/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
So is anyone archiving the site?

Dovid Spinrad

Apr 22, 2020, 11:23:25 AM4/22/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
Do you think she died or something?

Andraon

Apr 22, 2020, 12:30:09 PM4/22/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
awhile ago I used cyotek web copy to make a local backup of the site just in case anything ever happened to it. I didn't want any of the stories I'd loved over the years to vanish on me.

Lindsay Mathieson

Apr 22, 2020, 6:26:10 PM4/22/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
On 23/04/2020 1:22 am, Dovid Spinrad wrote:
> Do you think she died or something?

No, I hope not, but Marjorie was caring for her Partner through a
terminal illness. I imagine the site and this list could be a reminder
of some very hard times for her, so a little gentleness would be in order.

Wishing her all the best, wherever she may be, and hope she is still
able to express her immense talents as an artist in any form that suits.

--
Lindsay

t'Sade

Apr 23, 2020, 12:21:43 AM4/23/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com, Lindsay Mathieson
On 4/22/20 5:26 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On 23/04/2020 1:22 am, Dovid Spinrad wrote:
>> Do you think she died or something?
>
> No, I hope not, but Marjorie was caring for her Partner through a
> terminal illness. I imagine the site and this list could be a
> reminder of some very hard times for her, so a little gentleness
> would be in order.

Also, sometimes after going though something stressful like that,
certain parts of your life end up going by the wayside. I know that when
I've had major life changes (floods, pandemic), there were things that I
did every day before the change were no longer possible after. My
obsession with Kingdom of Loathing suffered greatly in the Iowa flood of
2008. :(

> Wishing her all the best, wherever she may be, and hope she is still
> able to express her immense talents as an artist in any form that
> suits.

Ditto.

As for the site, I wouldn't mind hosting a mirror and keep it running as
long as I do my own sites. I have a couple other mirrors from various
writers who have left the community. I'd rather have consent though but
I suspect that may not be an option.

I'll point out, Let's Encrypt (the SSL provider) requires renewal every
ninety days, so someone was probably paying attention to the site. At
least to set it up. :)

Cheers,
t'Sade

Pat Burroughs (Celti)

Apr 23, 2020, 12:31:22 AM4/23/20
to gwyl...@googlegroups.com
I would like to point out to everyone that the certificate in question
is a wildcard certificate for auroris.net, which is *not* Marjorie's
site to manage but if I recall correctly is a friend providing her with
free hosting. While I made sure I had an up-to-date local archive "just
in case", don't be too pessimistic about what that means for the site.

~Celti

P.S.: for those who enjoy technical details, the expired certificate is
a wildcard certificate for *.auroris.net from Let's Encrypt, a free
certificate provider. LE only provides 90-day certificates, and it's
very easy for a hiccup in the renewal process to go unnoticed and see
your certificates expiring en masse — I should know, since I use them
too! If it _stays_ expired for more than a few days, then it might be
time to worry.

Excerpts from Geoff Hicks's message of April 21, 2020 9:24 pm:

Julius Caramba

Apr 27, 2020, 4:01:01 PM4/27/20
to Gwyllion
and just to be sure, after roughly 4 and a half hour, i did a -hopefully- complete backup over at the waybackmachine https://web.archive.org/web/20200427193431/https://marjorie.auroris.net/
Everything should work, the stories, the art and even the links that give an 404 error on the site. But im bad at counting so some stories which have multiple chapters might miss one or moe chapters although i tried to be careful and get everything.
and it seems to me that the certificate works again, so yeay anyway?