Are overlay mounts supposed to work?

Ron Braunstein

Nov 6, 2020, 12:25:43 AM11/6/20
to gVisor Users [Public]

I have an overlay mount in config.json that works for "runc", but not for "runsc"

$ grep -B2 -A7 overlay config.json
{
"destination": "/ov",
"type": "overlay",
"options": [
"lowerdir=/tmp/lower",
"upperdir=/tmp/upper",
"workdir=/tmp/work"
]
}

I'm expecting to have an "/ov" mount in the container that uses the host /tmp/lower and /tmp/upper directories.

=== Run the container with runsc ===

(base) ron@gamer:~/runsc/bundle$ sudo runsc run demo
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
root@runsc:/# mount
none on / type overlayfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev type overlayfs (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (ro,noexec)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)

root@runsc:/# df -H /ov
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
-               206G  198G  7.5G  97% /ov

root@runsc:/# touch /ov/hi
touch: cannot touch '/ov/hi': Permission denied

root@runsc:/# exit
exit

==== on the host ===
(base) ron@gamer:~/runsc/bundle$ ls -ltr /tmp/lower /tmp/upper /tmp/work
/tmp/upper:
total 0

/tmp/lower:
total 4
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ron ron 3 Nov  5 20:46 file2

/tmp/work:
total 4
d--------- 2 root root 4096 Nov  5 21:14 work

Fabricio Voznika

Nov 9, 2020, 3:30:52 PM11/9/20
to Ron Braunstein, gVisor Users [Public]
Overlay mount type is not yet supported by runsc and gets ignored. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be supported. I created https://github.com/google/gvisor/issues/4768 to track it. As a workaround, runsc has an option to add an overlay on top of all mounts in the container with the --overlay flag (see here how to set flags). Does this work for you?