Buses continuing to show up as "in service" well after finishing their runs.

aahd...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2021, 2:21:48 PM7/5/21
to GTFS-realtime
Hello,

I seem to be having an issue with my GTFS feed for my local bus company where buses do not drop off the of the realtime tracker after finishing their run, they continue to show up (their last position when they were in service) along with the last trip they did. It continues to show this until the bus actually re-enters service later. Can anyone provide any insight?

Gaetano

Jul 5, 2021, 4:08:52 PM7/5/21
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
I would assume this is bug or a feature where the feed is not dropping old positions after they expire. If the vehicle positions have timestamps you might be able to just filter them out based on some reasonable age. If not you might want to ask them to either include timestamps for the positions or remove old positions or both.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021, 11:21 AM aahd...@gmail.com <aahd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I seem to be having an issue with my GTFS feed for my local bus company where buses do not drop off the of the realtime tracker after finishing their run, they continue to show up (their last position when they were in service) along with the last trip they did. It continues to show this until the bus actually re-enters service later. Can anyone provide any insight?

aahd...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2021, 1:11:06 AM7/6/21
to GTFS-realtime
After looking at the real time tracker you are correct, it continues to show the position as "last seen" internally, but shows it as in service on the public side. Removing old positions entirely should fix the issue.

aahd...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2021, 10:43:46 PM7/6/21
to GTFS-realtime
So I removed the old positions and it now causes my realtime tracker to throw out an error code or long loading time when the user selects "last tracked position" to see where a bus was last seen. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this, as I just want the tracker to realize that a bus has finished its trip and just stop transmitting that it's in service, but continue to display its last position that it was in service and state "last seen July 2, 2021 at 10:30AM." Any ideas?