How to build up the RT Vehicle Positions feed of subway (Seoul, South Korea)

Jung-ho Jang (AROInTech-South Korea)

Aug 27, 2020, 4:42:17 AM8/27/20
to GTFS-realtime
Hi everyone,

I cordially ask anyone to help us build up the RT vehicle positions feed of subway. The point that we are wondering is the field of position requiring XY coordinates. Does this work if we fill in the coordinates of station? No agency provides the RT location of subway in Seoul.

So, I guess that the position field of Vehicle Positions might indicate the coordinates of station.

Please help me to complete the RT feed. If anyone provides a sample table, it will be great of fully understanding how to make the Vehicle Position.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jung-ho Jang, Senior Manager of ARO Intech, Transit Service Provider of South Korea

Fisher, Will

Aug 27, 2020, 10:27:51 AM8/27/20
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com

It’s probably better if you have the positions of the vehicles themselves. Do you have access to data with the granular (or not-so-granular) positions of the subway vehicles?

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, and any attachment to it, may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended for the use of the individual(s) or entity named on the e-mail. Unauthorized disclosure of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy this message and all copies thereof, including all attachments.

Jung-ho Jang (장정호)

Aug 27, 2020, 7:20:53 PM8/27/20
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Dear Will,

Thanks for your kind reply.

Seoul Metro, which is responsible for the subway's operation in Seoul Metropolitan Area is openly providing their vehicle positions as a type of station name. For example, instead of providing the XY WGS coordinates, their RT positions are represented as below.

- moving to Seoul Station, departing from the previous station.
- Just arrived at Seoul Station

In this kind of RT data, how can we compose the RT vehicle position feed? Would you please advise us on that?

Best regards,

Jung-ho Jang

- We are a transit data provider for Google Maps, working with Google Korea.

 장 정 호   Jung-ho Jang

  전략사업본부 / 부장 | Manager, Business Development / Content Alliance

  Mobile 010-3339-6174     Email jhj...@odsay.com

  ㈜아로정보기술 / ARO InTech Inc./ www.arointech.co.kr / eng.arointech.co.kr - English

  서울특별시 영등포구 당산로41 11, E 1302(당산동4, SK V1센터)

  SK V1 Center E-1302, 11, Dangsan-ro 41-gil, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul 07217, South Korea

  Office +82-2-6261-5242(Ext. 212)    Fax 02-6261-0851

  지리산 休 제작소 / www.huemaker.com

  전라북도 남원시 인월면 인월로 73, 2층 (인월리, 지리산공용터미널)

  TEL 070-7005-5266  /   063-930-0055

http://arointech.co.kr

Stefan de Konink

Aug 27, 2020, 7:28:04 PM8/27/20
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jung-ho Jang,

On Friday, August 28, 2020 1:20:36 AM CEST, Jung-ho Jang (장정호) wrote:
> In this kind of RT data, how can we compose the RT vehicle position feed?
> Would you please advise us on that?

What you describe is similar to how the metro operator of the City of
Rotterdam provides their real-time data. Arrivals and Departures on the
stations use those X/Y positions.

You may ask yourself if you could do better. For example, many safety
systems know per section positions. Make a RT feed based on X/Y positions
of used sections. Your granularity certainly increases significantly. In
addition many systems have ODO meters (distance traveled). If you could
project the distance traveled + entering the section, your feed has meter
based accuracy even under the ground.

--
Stefan

John Sanborn

Aug 27, 2020, 8:27:01 PM8/27/20
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
  We have a similar situation with no GPS tracking on our LRT vehicles in Minneapolis/St Paul (MN, USA). Our LRT system tracks the trains locations using the track circuits. So we have a table that maps the GPS coordinates to each track circuit that allows us provide GPS in the real-time feed. However, the "position" is an optional field in the GTFS-RT Vehicle Position feed. If you're able to determine the train's general location by any means, when it's at and when it's leaving a station, you can populate the VehiclePosition message with the current or upcoming stop_id and set the current_status accordingly (incoming_at, stopped_at, in_transit_to). I think that would accomplish what you want if providing a coordinate location is not important.

John

Jung-ho Jang (장정호)

Aug 27, 2020, 8:43:22 PM8/27/20
to gtfs-r...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Your answers help us to work with the RT feeds.

Best regards,

Jung-ho Jang