IMPORTANT: Google Summer of Code [GSoC] 2020 - All Updates [Mentors and Students]

Vivek Kumar

Feb 20, 2020, 9:59:27 PM2/20/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com, Toby Hocking, br...@braverock.com
Hello all,

How are you? Hope everyone is well. This email is in regard to our coming session of GSoC [Google Summer of Code] 2020. We are glad to share that we have been accepted again to participate. It has been great seeing our community grow. Before the program begins,  I am going to list down a few important details.

This will be our official IRC channel for all major announcements other than email for smooth communication between mentors and students. I am sure you all create a channel to communicate, you can now create your private channels here for projects and discuss accordingly.

[Suggestions are welcome  to improve this before we officially begin with GSoC 2020]

SLACK LINK
https://join.slack.com/t/rstats-gsoc/shared_invite/enQtOTU1ODg1MzY2Nzc0LTU1ZDc0NjA3MGIyZWQ4MGViMmQzOWUaxYjY3ZDc0MDJlYTg0YmRiY2NmYjUzYTA0YjExMzMzNjYxMWRhMDgxNjI

I request all mentors, org admins and mentors to join in. Kindly.

[New Community Members - Mentor or Student Applicants]

1. Kindly read about of our community here:
https://www.r-project.org/
2. If you have no idea about GSoC:  https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/
This will get you started on how you can participate officially with our org. and Google Open Source programs.
3. Our official GSoC Github repo [Wiki]  https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2020/wiki

Here you will find all the 'tentative projects' that we will be considering. Please visit them, read all the instructions properly and follow them. Mentors are requested to fill all the important details as soon as possible, this will help students to work on initial tasks.

[Mentor Applications - Requirements and Eligiblity]

1. You must be a former GSoC Student or former GSoC Mentor or former GCI Mentor or [Package or Project] Developer/Owner/Maintainer
[you must have a valid project or CRAN package or should be highly skilled in R]
2. You might be considered on the recommendation of any current or former mentors or through an active contributor in the R community.
3. Please direct all application to Toby [
tdh...@gmail.com ]  and Brian [br...@braverock.com or post it in this mailer [less preferred to avoid flooding].
4. You should be able to fully understand your responsibility as a mentor and a code of conduct for this event. [ https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/mentors ]

[Old Mentors or 2nd time GSoC Applicants or GSoC Students becoming Mentors

You are already familiar with the process and we are so glad and grateful for all your contribution and hard work in having us excel at GSoC every year.
It is very important this year that we EVALUATE students on a monthly basis with active communication.  We are trying to comply with guidelines,
please help us achieve this.

Please reach out to Toby, Brian or me  for any clarification and help.

Thank you all for reading,
Vivek
----

Vivek Kumar

Mar 1, 2020, 11:38:07 AM3/1/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com, Toby Hocking, br...@braverock.com, Vijay Barve
Hello all,

This is a follow up email on my previous email.

Student Applications are starting from 16th March. We encourage students to start completing the test-tasks and reach out [only after completing the task, unless you are facing issue you are unable to resolve] to mentors mentioned.

Link to project ideas:
https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2020/wiki

MENTORS: Last year, we faced a lot of issues with evaluation, most mentors didn't fill the evaluation of the students, which is very important as they would be unable to move to next evaluation.

Also, please submit your project ideas before 15th March so that students have ample time to start working on it.

Please reach out to me or @Vijay Barve to be invited into the slack channel for mentors.

IMPORTANT:  Please assign an evaluating mentor  who will be responsible for filling out the evaluation for their project students. And mentors who fail to complete the evaluation on their students will not be able to participate in future GSoC as it puts us in spotlight in Google for all the wrong reasons.

We understand you are providing us with your valuable time and resources, we have very thankful for that.

Please reach out to us with any issues, we will try to help out.

Thank you again, everyone.

-Vivek

------PREVIOUS MAIL----

Tuo Zhao

Mar 20, 2020, 12:56:15 AM3/20/20
to gsoc-r

Hi, Vijay,

This is Tuo Zhao from Georgia Tech. I'm applying for the mentorship of GSOC 2020 for the R community and have contacted Brian and Toby.

I've participated in GSOC for 2011-2019 (2011-2013 as a student developer and 2014-2019 as a mentor). I have a potential project on multi-stage clinical trial for GSOC this year. This project will be collaborative with Prof. Xingyuan Fang (cc’ed) at Penn State University. We have posted our project on the idea page:

https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2020/wiki/Multi-Stage-Adaptive-Trial-Design-in-R

I am wondering whether you could invite me to the slack channels for mentors.

Thanks.

Best

Tuo

Vivek Kumar

Mar 20, 2020, 2:26:49 AM3/20/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Invited, please share  Prof. Xingyuan Fang email address.

-Vivek

拓 赵

Mar 20, 2020, 9:50:29 AM3/20/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com

Thanks very much!

Ethan Fang’s email is ethan...@gmail.com

Best

Tuo

Alfred Leppänen

Mar 26, 2020, 12:05:58 PM3/26/20
to gsoc-r
Dear Vivek,

Is it possible to get an updated Slack invite link for the group. I'm trying to reach my mentors for the Expected Returns project.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Alfred

Vivek Kumar

Mar 26, 2020, 12:37:59 PM3/26/20
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Apologize for the late response.

New Slack Invite Link:
https://join.slack.com/t/rstats-gsoc/shared_invite/zt-d04ma98x-RyJ5vjl6FzTIOeKCdvIYEw

Gentle Reminder: Student Applications Ends on 31st March 2020.

Let me know if you have any questions or issues, please reach out.

-Vivek