Project page disappeared!

J C Nash

Mar 18, 2021, 10:12:42 AM3/18/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
I have just noticed that the "Improvements to nls()" project proposal and some student material
has disappeared!.

The link still seems to show that it is "live" (i.e., it shows blue rather than red), but on
clicking, I get "Create new page".

I suspect someone has wanted to edit, but has managed to clear everything. Sadly, this includes
some student work. WHile I can replace (more or less) the proposal, I don't have the student
work.

There is always a suspicion of malevolent intent, but I actually feel this is more a case
of fumble fingers. I've asked Toby if it can be reverted (I'm not that familiar with Github's
approach to the wiki, but suspect there must be a way to do this. Suggestions welcome.) If not,
I'll repost the proposal.

Interested students, please watch and repost your work please. Sorry to have to ask this.

John Nash

Johan Larson

Mar 18, 2021, 10:26:14 AM3/18/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
That's really unfortunate. I hope you're able to recover the page. Have you looked at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24797429/how-do-i-undo-deleting-a-github-wiki-page?

Perhaps we should consider switching from the Wikipedia-type setup to just having mentors be collaborators on the repository, have projects be individual .md files in the repository, and let students submit pull-requests with their results (or something along those lines).

Johan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gsoc-r" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gsoc-r+un...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-r/a1559adf-c4f4-2977-5ab8-d2b3694e8cc4%40gmail.com.

J C Nash

Mar 18, 2021, 11:31:46 AM3/18/21
to Vijay Barve, gso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vijay. It seems the link was changed from "Improvements-to-nls" to just "nls".

I've edited it back to the correct pointer.

Also thanks to Johan Larson for pointers on recovery ideas.

Best, JN