GSOC-R 2021

Toby Hocking

Jan 7, 2021, 12:23:52 PM1/7/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, happy new year, this is a reminder about the upcoming GSOC-R 2021.

ADMINS we will need to submit an org application sometime between Jan 29 and Feb 19. In previous years I have done this and I can do it again, but I was wondering if one of the other/new admins would be interested to learn how? If so you can start with these answers from last year and you can ask me if you need any help.

MENTORS we need your help to populate https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2021/wiki/table-of-proposed-coding-projects with project ideas before our org app submission. I have added a few ideas and already received some contact/interest from students. I encourage potential mentors to start posting project ideas now, with a soft deadline end Jan and a hard deadline end of Feb.

J C Nash

Jan 7, 2021, 2:00:08 PM1/7/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
I have just added "Improvements to nls()" as a proposal, though test section is still a
work in progress that I hope to complete within a week. Also a second mentor is needed,
as well, of course, as students.

Cheers, JN
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-r/CALK03d3zeZmY%3DXV3%3DotQnq5u%2B13Pq0khrwF%3D0F5%2B6k25sb2P7A%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-r/CALK03d3zeZmY%3DXV3%3DotQnq5u%2B13Pq0khrwF%3D0F5%2B6k25sb2P7A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vijay Barve

Jan 7, 2021, 9:56:53 PM1/7/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hello Toby and JN,

I have done a quick pass to fix some typos and add a few lines in the application.

I have initiated discussion with a few current and potential mentors to start listing ideas. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Vijay

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-r/0699d3d2-f991-f5a7-74cc-74575205e52d%40gmail.com.

Vijay Barve
http://vijaybarve.net/
---

J C Nash

Jan 8, 2021, 11:08:51 AM1/8/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com, Kate Mullen, Hans W Borchers
I've added student tests to my proposal. At least one other mentor is needed.

Best, JN

JJB

Feb 9, 2021, 2:55:51 PM2/9/21
to gsoc-r
Toby,

I've add a project for {bibtex}.

Is there an easy way to join the ADMIN team for R's GSOC 2021?

Best,

JJB

Toby Hocking

Feb 9, 2021, 3:06:26 PM2/9/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi James, thanks for contributing a project idea and welcome to the R-GSOC mentors family!
To be clear you do not need to join the ADMIN team if you want to be a mentor. Joining the ADMIN team is an informal process that typical happens after actively contributing to R-GSOC for some time. (we should probably write an official policy document about this but so far there is none)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gsoc-r/d7f8f963-d2d3-4600-972a-9d3292cff95en%40googlegroups.com.

Toby Hocking

Feb 9, 2021, 3:10:41 PM2/9/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vijay are you available / interested to submit the R-GSOC application this year? (it is now possible and must be done in the next 10 days) https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
Can you please reply here ASAP with yes/no so we don't miss the deadline?
If you do want to submit the application, there may be some questions that are different, and if so, can you please add them to the wiki page, along with all the responses you used? (that will make it easier for whoever submits the application next year) https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2021/wiki/Admin-application

JJB

Feb 9, 2021, 4:04:25 PM2/9/21
to gsoc-r
Toby,

I've been a mentor for a few years now. Project-wise, I mentored:
- unofficially, 2017:  the sparse matrix extension to RcppArmadillo in 2018
- officially, 2018: Vowpal Wabbit rewrite (rvw).
- 2019: there was a hiccup with due-dates, so the `mlpack` project wasn't eligible under the R organization.
- 2020: I mentored the R project bindings with the mlpack org.

Best,

JJB

Vijay Barve

Feb 9, 2021, 6:56:39 PM2/9/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I will submit the application. I will add the additional question to the wiki and draft the answers too.

Regards,

Vijay

Vijay Barve

Feb 14, 2021, 11:31:03 AM2/14/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have added additional questions to our wiki page [https://github.com/rstats-gsoc/gsoc2021/wiki/Admin-application] with answers.

Two new questions are
- What would your org consider to be a successful summer?
- How many of your org’s 2020 students have been active in your community in the past 60 days?

Please go through the wiki page and let me know if you make any changes, so I will make sure the changes are included in the final submission.

Thanks and regards,

Vijay

Toby Hocking

Feb 15, 2021, 11:04:01 AM2/15/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
looks good go ahead and submit!
thanks Vijay

Brian G. Peterson

Feb 15, 2021, 11:21:23 AM2/15/21
to gso...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Good to go. I meant to reply yesterday. I made a couple minor changes, and updated the wiki too.

--
Brian G. Peterson
ph: 773.459.4973