Updating Firmware on a Virtual Machine

Karl

Dec 26, 2019, 5:52:00 PM12/26/19
to GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles
I have an unusual problem that I'm hoping someone in the group can help me solve.  I do not have a Windows computer.  I have a Mac desktop (macOS 10.13.6) and a Linux (Ubuntu 18.04.3) laptop.  Since the GS-911 main program and downloader utility are both Windows-only, I'm running Windows 10 on both computers in Virtual Box virtual machines.  When new software is released I update as instructed using one or the other of the virtual machines.

Everything works as advertised for updating the drivers and the main program, but I have a problem when I try to update the firmware on my GS-911wifi.  When I use the GS911wifi Utility on either Windows 10 virtual machine I get an error message at the end of the process and the update doesn't take.  However, if I update using the Mac version of the utility the firmware update is successful.  My question to the group is, therefore, why doesn't the firmware update work on either Windows virtual machine?

Mole C

Dec 27, 2019, 1:46:36 AM12/27/19
to gs-911
any reason you can't use the mac osx software > https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/downloads

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 22:52, 'Karl' via GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles <gs-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Maurice

Karl Hutchinson

Dec 27, 2019, 12:15:26 PM12/27/19
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
As I stated in my original post, I am able to update the firmware using the Mac version of the GS911wifi Utility.  However, if I’m traveling, my only option is the Windows utility on my laptop’s virtual machine, and it doesn’t work.  Hence my original question.

Bill Morrison

Jan 2, 2020, 8:47:42 AM1/2/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
Updates are usually for new bikes and come out maybe twice a year. Unless you travel that much seems like it a mute point. I use my smartphone app on the road.

--
Bill Morrison

Bill Morrison

Jan 2, 2020, 8:47:42 AM1/2/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
The GS-911 has an app for the MAC.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 6:59 PM Bill Morrison <bmorr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm running 10.13.6 on MacBook Pro it works fine for me. I don't own a windows PC

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 5:52 PM 'Karl' via GS-911 Field Diagnostic Tool for BMW motorcycles <gs-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Michael Hack

Jan 2, 2020, 8:47:43 AM1/2/20
to gs-...@googlegroups.com
While I don’t use VirtualBox, I am very familiar with VMware and Fusion.  It may be the way that the wlan is being shared within VirtualBox - I suggest you try using it in pass-thru mode, where the VM will see the device as a physical connection and not a shared virtual wifi card.  I have had odd issues with virtual drivers and this seems to correct the issue in most cases.

Michael

Bill Morrison

Karl

Karl