gRPC interface for C application

Avi Cohen

Oct 21, 2018, 5:15:55 AM10/21/18
to grpc.io
Hello,
is there gRPC interface for C application - i see for lot of languages but not for C, although the gEPC core is C
Thank you
Avi

Vijay Pai

Oct 21, 2018, 5:50:37 AM10/21/18
to Avi Cohen, grpc.io
Hello there,

The grpc repo doesn't provide a C language code generator or API. The core exposes a C89 semantically-versioned surface API but is implemented in C++11 (though much of it is in C style since the implementation was also historically C89 as well). Additionally, even the core surface is not considered stable; it is currently on the 7th major version while our actual APIs (C++, C#, Obj-C, Ruby, etc.) have remained stable since Beta or at least 1.0 in all cases.

That said, Juniper has offered a pure-C implementation and API at https://github.com/Juniper/grpc-c . AFAIK, that repo is in a pre-alpha state but has gotten some use, and its maintainers are certainly part of the community (attended and presented at meetups, etc).

Regards,
Vijay

Avi Cohen

Oct 21, 2018, 6:02:28 AM10/21/18
to grpc.io
Thank you Vijay
My client is C app. - so i'll try the Juniper gRPC for C for it, my server is Java so I'll take gRPC for Java for it. is this make sense ?
RegardsAvi

בתאריך יום ראשון, 21 באוקטובר 2018 בשעה 12:50:37 UTC+3, מאת Vijay Pai:

Vijay Pai

Oct 24, 2018, 12:50:10 AM10/24/18
to grpc.io
Hi Avi,

Yes, the gRPC wire protocol is designed to be language-agnostic as long as the specific bindings on both sides implement the wire protocol correctly. Given that Juniper's API sits on top of the gRPC core surface, I think that its transport should be fully interoperable with the gRPC Java, but I don't know their interop testing story. I hope that Ajay or someone else from their team is on this list!

Thanks,
Vijay