gRPC TCP connect timeout value

Eddie Mon

Jun 21, 2022, 1:13:52 AM6/21/22
to grpc.io
Hello,

I have a gRPC client configured with ipv4 name resolver and first pick load balancer.
The issue I am facing is that if the first IP in the ipv4 address list is powered down or the server firewall is blocking the IP traffic, gRPC will take up to 20 seconds before it moves on to the next server IP for the gRPC request.

My question is, any config parameters I can set to reduce this connect timeout and make gRPC move on to the following IP for request?

Thanks,
Eddie.

Mark D. Roth

Jun 22, 2022, 2:20:53 PM6/22/22
to Eddie Mon, grpc.io
There should be options to reduce the initial connection timeout, but the details depend on what language you're using.  If you're using a C-core-based language, you can use the GRPC_ARG_MIN_RECONNECT_BACKOFF_MS channel arg.

Mark D. Roth <ro...@google.com>
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.

Eddie Mon

Jun 22, 2022, 4:26:59 PM6/22/22
to grpc.io
Thank You! That is exactly what I was looking for.