Proposal: descriptor (.pb) to .proto files

Alex Van Boxel

Jan 6, 2019, 7:48:10 AM1/6/19
to grpc.io
Hi,

I'm currently prototyping a Descriptor to .proto files dumper. I'm wondering if it would be something that would be of interest to include in the java-utils part of grpc-java?

We're planning to use it for dynamically generated schema's, that we then dump on a filesystem to check into git.

(it's work in progress, but already generates pretty complete proto files)

If this is something that could be included I'll do the effort of getting an environment up that is able to build grpc-java.

Josh Humphries

Jan 6, 2019, 8:39:07 AM1/6/19
to Alex Van Boxel, grpc.io
FWIW, I have a Go implementation of the same functionality here: https://godoc.org/github.com/jhump/protoreflect/desc/protoprint

----
Josh Humphries
jh...@bluegosling.com

Derek Perez

Jan 6, 2019, 4:31:28 PM1/6/19
to Josh Humphries, Alex Van Boxel, grpc.io
For Java, I wrote a library for generating protobuf source files using a builder style pattern here:
GitHub.com/perezd/protopoet