Retry policy

ili...@luminatewireless.com

Feb 24, 2017, 2:46:37 PM2/24/17
to grpc.io
Hi there,

We are in the process of upgrading gRPC from git commit ID c7767bb1244204724c72422c11b8c6a146caef39 (March 2016) to git commit ID 4fe0d977ed1d04cbee6b44d6f30e56e5133287b5 (February 2017).

One new behaviour we have observed is, if the client fails to connect to the server, it seems to take longer for the retries to happen. Has the retry policy changed? Previously, once the server was available, the client channel would connect within one or two seconds. Now, it seems to take closer to 10 seconds once the server is available.

Ilina

Stanley Cheung

Feb 28, 2017, 11:49:23 PM2/28/17
to grpc.io, ili...@luminatewireless.com
What language are your server and client implemented in respectively?

Yang Gao

Mar 1, 2017, 12:45:15 AM3/1/17
to Stanley Cheung, grpc.io, ili...@luminatewireless.com
Ilina

You may want to test by setting channel_arg with key grpc.testing.fixed_reconnect_backoff_ms to a smaller value to see whether it works. Or maybe playing with the values in client_channel/subchannel.c. I do not think we have a arg for the min_backoff right now though.

Ilina Mitra

Mar 1, 2017, 4:17:45 PM3/1/17
to Stanley Cheung, grpc.io
Server is in Java and client is in C++