Re: [grpc-io] Re: GRPC + Node, what's the destination?

Message has been deleted

Nicolas Noble

Apr 13, 2018, 7:28:54 PM4/13/18
to Michael Lumish, Arnaud Dematte, grp...@googlegroups.com
Bonjour Arnaud,

  The answer to your question really depends on what you really need and want. The pure javascript version of grpc isn't released yet, and when it is, it will be in alpha state. We won't support anything else than basic grpc client features at first, but we're planning to listen to feedback and add features to it accordingly. If you are adventurous, you could try cloning the repository and trying the code directly. But I wouldn't expect this code to be production-ready. Also, contrary to what you are saying, it's not protobufjs-centric. You can use both protobuf and protobufjs with this code.

  The native version of gRPC is today the fully featured version of grpc-node, with high performance client and server code, compression support, retries, etc. If you need all of these features, in a production-ready package, that's where you should look at. Note that any code that works with the pure javascript version of grpc will also work with the native version too.

  Finally, as dynamic vs static codegen (or protobufjs vs protobuf) are concerned, we're not opinionated about it. Both have pros and cons, and you should just use whichever fits your usage case better. We're supporting both for the foreseeable future.

  Don't hesitate to let us know if you have further questions. Bon courage!

  -- Nicolas

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 8:07 AM, Michael Lumish <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 7:01 AM Arnaud Dematte <arnaud....@fr.clara.net> wrote:

Hi Michael,

first, thanks for all the good work you've been doing on grpc/node !

I've been working with GRPC for more than a year and I am a bit puzzled about where NodeJs support is heading.

Currently there are 3 ways to handle GRPC client/server from NodeJS:

- grpc-native-core with dynamic codegen (seems to be using protobufjs under the hood)

- grpc-native-core with static codegen (using protoc which unfortunately requires grpc object to be created using getter/setter which is quite ill-suited for the ecmascript community)

- grpc-js-core which is still in alpha and seems to be wrapping protobufjs to implement the grpc service part which the lib does not handle.

We are using Node (typescript) in our node projects and are looking for the best approach possible. I would personally bet on the native grpc-js-core because it seems to better fit the javascript ecosystem but what do you personally feel is the future for grpc in Node ?

cheers,

--
Arnaud DEMATTE
Chief Innovation Officer