Google Global Load Balancer support for gRPC?

mic...@improbable.io

Oct 15, 2015, 10:44:05 AM10/15/15
to grpc.io
Hi guys,

First of all, it's great to see gRPC progressing at such a pace. It's fantastic to be able to use such a great piece of technology outside Google :)

I've tried setting up a gRPC backend behind the Google HTTP load balancer https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/load-balancing/http/ after seeing that HTTP/2 was a first class citizen on the platform.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Google Cloud Load Balancer (GCLB) doesn't support neither health-checking nor (after hacking a HTTP1.1 healthcheck onto the server) HTTP2 forwarding.

Do you if Google has plans for GCLB to support gRPC passthrough?

Michal
Head of Infrastructure
Improbable

Louis Ryan

Oct 21, 2015, 6:24:20 PM10/21/15
to mic...@improbable.io, grpc.io
Michal,

GCLB will support HTTP2/GRPC passthrough as layer-7 LB but it won't be until sometime next year. In the meantime you can use it as a Layer-3 LB instead of as Layer-7

- Louis

Michal Witkowski

Oct 22, 2015, 2:39:40 AM10/22/15
to Louis Ryan, grpc.io

Louis, thanks for the clarification. Great to hear it will be supported, sad to hear it'll be that late :-(

The one thing that L3 LB is missing is the great global drain control, which we use for controlling how traffic flows to our frontend clusters. I guess in the mean time we'll have to do with DNS for that.

me...@go-jek.com

Aug 11, 2016, 1:49:35 AM8/11/16
to grpc.io, mic...@improbable.io, mail...@gmail.com
Hey Louis,
Is this supported by GCLB now? and there any plans for a open source   HTTP2/GRPC layer-7 LB.
Any suggestions ?

Michal Witkowski

Aug 11, 2016, 10:19:43 AM8/11/16
to me...@go-jek.com, grpc.io, mail...@gmail.com
We kinda build something gRPC specific for doing rich load balancing on L7 layer of gRPC:

It requires a forked version of gRPC-Go, but we've been successfully running this in production for a few months now.

Louis Ryan

Aug 11, 2016, 9:03:26 PM8/11/16
to Michal Witkowski, me...@go-jek.com, grpc.io, mail...@gmail.com
Still not yet supported by GCLB. As far as OSS proxies that work you can also use nghttpx

Varun Talwar

Aug 12, 2016, 1:01:02 PM8/12/16
to Louis Ryan, Michal Witkowski, me...@go-jek.com, grpc.io, mail...@gmail.com, Prajakta Joshi
There is a plan to add Layer-7 LB support for gRPC in GCLB by end of year.  Will keep the community posted as we get closer.
Michal, Mehak: if there are any specific requests you may have, pls email me.

Thanks

Varun Talwar | Product Manager | varun...@google.com | 415-341-7352

vi...@satalia.com

Jan 3, 2017, 7:40:07 AM1/3/17
to grpc.io, varun...@google.com
Good afternoon,

We are running our gRPC server on Kubernetes cluster, and we use nghttpx as the load balancer for the services.
However, there are some drawbacks with this approach, and we'd like to use Layer-7 load balancer.
We tried using the GCLB as it accepts HTTP/2 requests, but because they are converted to HTTP/1.1 before being sent to the server the gRPC requests arrive malformed.

Do you know if GCLB will support L7 LB for gRPC, and if so do you know when we could expect this feature?

Thank you for your time,

Vito
Varun Talwar | Product Manager | varuntalwar@google.com | 415-341-7352

Varun Talwar

Jan 10, 2017, 4:14:58 PM1/10/17
to vi...@satalia.com, grpc.io, gcp-networking
+gcp-networking@

Varun Talwar | Product Manager | varun...@google.com | 415-341-7352

bmar...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 3:06:40 PM1/24/17
to grpc.io, vi...@satalia.com, gcp-net...@google.com
Any updated for this thread? The Google example here https://cloud.google.com/solutions/mobile/mobile-compute-engine-grpc
which uses gRPC exclusively, at the end, points to the "setting up HTTP(s) Load Balancing" article. So that would make one
assume GCLB supports gRPC... but it's not explicit, and in fact says "The load balancer acts as an HTTP/2 to HTTP/1.1 translation layer"
which makes me believe that it would NOT work for gRPC servers that expect http/2 incoming connections. ??
+gcp-networking@

Varun Talwar | Product Manager | varun...@google.com | 415-341-7352

Varun Talwar

Jan 24, 2017, 3:34:14 PM1/24/17
to bmar...@gmail.com, grpc.io, Vito Tumas, gcp-networking
GCLB has it on their roadmap to support http/2 to backends and add support for gRPC by Q2 this year. It is currently not supported.
Are you looking for L7 load balancing with gRPC backends?

bmar...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2017, 5:20:51 PM1/24/17
to grpc.io, bmar...@gmail.com, vi...@satalia.com, gcp-net...@google.com
I don't need anything complicated, just "here's a bunch of backends, spread the load out across them...". I'm not looking for inspection of the payloads or URLs or anything as a necessity, although admittedly that would be nice to have.

Samir

May 31, 2017, 12:06:49 PM5/31/17
to grpc.io, bmar...@gmail.com, vi...@satalia.com, gcp-net...@google.com
Hi!

Curious if there are any updates on this as we approach the end of Q2 2017.

Prajakta Joshi

May 31, 2017, 12:17:08 PM5/31/17
to Samir, grpc.io, bmar...@gmail.com, vi...@satalia.com, gcp-networking

James Burns

May 31, 2017, 12:56:54 PM5/31/17
to Prajakta Joshi, Samir, grpc.io, bmar...@gmail.com, vi...@satalia.com, gcp-networking
Not exactly possible for those outside of google.

James Burns
Insight Engineering
twilio

Prajakta Joshi

May 31, 2017, 2:29:41 PM5/31/17
to James Burns, Samir, grpc.io, Ben Margolin, Vito Tumas, gcp-networking
My apologies- I did not notice that the ask was from external users. At this point, the timeline is early Q3 Alpha. I will update this thread once we have a specific date.

Prajakta

Samir Ahmed

Jul 5, 2017, 11:13:59 PM7/5/17
to Prajakta Joshi, James Burns, grpc.io, Ben Margolin, Vito Tumas, gcp-networking
Hi Prajakta,

Any update on the Q3 Alpha timeline?

- samir

Samir Ahmed

Jul 28, 2017, 1:56:59 PM7/28/17
to Prajakta Joshi, James Burns, grpc.io, Ben Margolin, Vito Tumas, gcp-networking
Hi Prajakta,

Any update on the Q3 Alpha timeline?

samir...@snapchat.com

Oct 25, 2017, 11:57:51 AM10/25/17
to grpc.io
Hi

Any Update on the timeline for Grpc L7 support in GCLB?

- samir

hpid...@halfbrick.com

Nov 28, 2017, 6:50:13 PM11/28/17
to grpc.io
Hi,

We're also keen to see gRPC support for GCLB, particularly GCLB with IAP enabled.

- Harry
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to gcp-networkin...@google.com.

ian.p...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 6:06:11 PM12/29/17
to grpc.io
Any word on first class support for grpc on GCLB?

samuel...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2018, 1:02:30 PM1/20/18
to grpc.io
Any update on this, Google?

prajak...@google.com

Feb 5, 2018, 2:58:07 PM2/5/18
to grpc.io
Hello everyone
"HTTP/2 + gRPC to backend instances for HTTP(S) LB" is now in Alpha for Google Compute Engine (GCE). Please reach out to your Google Cloud Account managers to sign you up for Alpha. Stay tuned for Beta soon!
Regards,
Prajakta

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 12:02:30 PM UTC-6, samuel...@gmail.com wrote:
Any update on this, Google?

Kailash Sethuraman

Feb 15, 2018, 2:33:12 PM2/15/18
to grpc.io
Hi All,
You can sign up for the alpha using this form.

Thanks,

Kailash Sethuraman

Feb 15, 2018, 3:01:04 PM2/15/18
to grpc.io
A reminder - please be sure to check with your Google Account Manager for approval prior to signing up.

Fedor Korotkov

Jun 19, 2018, 9:58:55 AM6/19/18
to grpc.io
Any news on GA of this feature? My Account Manger wasn't that helpful.

ho...@danielvaldivia.com

Sep 25, 2019, 2:45:07 AM9/25/19
to grpc.io
has this launched yet?