Problem with installing grpc for c++

Piotr Chmura

Feb 18, 2021, 5:50:35 PM2/18/21
to grpc.io
Hi,
I am trying to install grpc for c++. I'm following the tutorial from the main page:
https://grpc.io/docs/languages/cpp/quickstart/
And at the moment when I use the commands one causes the problem:
$ mkdir -p cmake/build
$ pushd cmake/build
$ cmake -DgRPC_INSTALL=ON
      -DgRPC_BUILD_TESTS=OFF
      -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$MY_INSTALL_DIR \N-.
      ../..
$ make -j <----- of this command
$ make install
$ popd

At about 70% my system crashes and I can't do anything. I am using Ubuntu 20.10 does anyone know what can cause this problem. I tried installing on two different computers and on each there was this problem.

Russell Wu

Feb 18, 2021, 9:04:01 PM2/18/21
to Piotr Chmura, grpc.io
Please provide a verbose log of cmake and make with the crash message so we can try to help.

Nicolas Noble

Feb 18, 2021, 9:33:57 PM2/18/21
to Russell Wu, Piotr Chmura, grpc.io
Also, if your system crashes or becomes unresponsive, it usually means you've overloaded your computer. The `make -j` command will spawn many subprocesses to build faster. Try either specifying a number there (like `make -j 4`), or removing the `-j` option altogether, in order to impose less load on your computer.

Piotr Chmura

Feb 19, 2021, 4:48:23 AM2/19/21
to grpc.io
Thanks for help :D