How to look up server?

Srinivas Naik

Aug 31, 2023, 5:23:18 AM8/31/23
to grpc.io
Hi,
I am new to gRPC and analyzing this as an alternative for IBinder in Android.
In Android a client can look up for server using IServiceManager.getService("service_name"); How to do this using gRPC?
How can clients look up for service from a service manager like in Android?

Thanks
Srini

Mark Brophy

Sep 22, 2023, 7:38:08 AM9/22/23
to grpc.io
Hi Srini, can you say more about your use case?

Are you planning to use a regular network/http transport, or is this about the binder-based transport (i.e. io.grpc.binder.*)?

    MarkB

Eric Anderson

Sep 25, 2023, 11:24:50 AM9/25/23
to Srinivas Naik, grpc.io, Mark Brophy
IServiceManager looks to be only for Binder, so it doesn't make sense to use it with a plain HTTP/2. You'd need to know the port the server is running on for that. But your high-level goals are unclear. So you'd have to give more background on your use-case for me to give a better reply, as you may need a substantially different approach.