who else is looking for an active (discord) community?

ji-podhead

Mar 18, 2024, 10:53:11 PMMar 18
to grpc.io
theres no channel on discord. gitter and git-discussion are dead.
i dont have any slack invites.
k8s groups have no grpc sub.
maybe we should start a server on our own?
love from germany:
ji

Fabio Andres Pino Gutierrez

Mar 19, 2024, 10:07:30 AMMar 19
to ji-podhead, grpc.io
INDEED!

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
Sent from Mailspring

Fabio Andres Pino Gutierrez

Mar 19, 2024, 10:07:36 AMMar 19
to grpc.io
indeed

Yuri Golobokov

Mar 19, 2024, 12:54:58 PMMar 19
to Fabio Andres Pino Gutierrez, grpc.io
There is an "Unofficial gRPC Community" server on Discord. It is not active, but I think it is better to join that one than start a new one.

Eric Anderson

Mar 19, 2024, 1:39:10 PMMar 19
to ji-podhead, grpc.io
The "Unofficial gRPC Community" Discord server from the last discussion was essentially a failed experiment. People joined, but there was not a single discussion. Gitter actually has some activity, so it isn't dead but rather pretty quiet. People ask plenty of questions, but only a few times over its life did users answer each other's questions. GitHub discussions aren't enabled on most repos; I enabled them last week(?) for grpc-java. It is something that we were going to experiment with, but mostly as an alternative to issues and the mailing list.

Part of the trouble is Germany and California have quite the timezone difference, so like the complaint "people show up in 12h interval" in that last thread is just saying "people aren't in my timezone." I definitely agree that is the case, but there's not much those of us in California can do about it.