What is the suggested way to use onError on StreamObserver?

Debraj

Apr 11, 2024, 4:55:14 PMApr 11
to grpc.io
If I have a code like below on a Java-based gRPC service

 @Override
  public void purge(
      final PurgeRequest request, final StreamObserver<PurgeResponse> responseObserver) {
      validator.validate(request);
      responseObserver.onNext(service.purge(request));
      responseObserver.onCompleted();
  }

Is it recommended that I catch the exception and call onError() like below or it is not recommended? Is there any advantage of one approach over the other?

 @Override
  public void purge(
      final PurgeRequest request, final StreamObserver<PurgeResponse> responseObserver) {
    try {
      validator.validate(request);
      responseObserver.onNext(gdprService.purge(request));
      responseObserver.onCompleted();
    } catch (final Exception e) {
      log.error("Failed to purge {}", request, e);
      responseObserver.onError(e);
    }
  }

Eric Anderson

Apr 11, 2024, 5:51:52 PMApr 11
to Debraj, grpc.io
If validator.validate() and service.purge() can throw, then you want a try-catch. You must call onCompleted() or onError() on the observer for the RPC to complete (and thus release its memory). gRPC does have some handling for exceptions thrown by the service method, but it is a worst-case backup. It will respond with Status.UNKNOWN and interceptors might get confused.

If you are very concerned, you can catch exceptions from onNext(). In general code tends to assume onNext() won't throw (or rather, won't throw randomly; it will totally throw if you use it incorrectly, like calling it after onCompleted()). So that's why the Hello World example server doesn't have a try-catch.

Debraj

Apr 13, 2024, 12:23:06 PMApr 13
to grpc.io
Thanks for replying.

I did not quite understand the statement - "It will respond with Status.UNKNOWN and interceptors might get confused" .

Let's say I do not have the try - catch in the purge() method and I have a ServerInterceptor like below. Are you saying that the statusException.getStatus() in the below code may be Status.UNKNOWN sometime even if the validator.validate() is throwing StatusRunTImeException with some different Status. In that case statusException.getTrailers() can also be null or empty?

public class ServerInterceptor implements io.grpc.ServerInterceptor {
  public < ReqT, RespT > ServerCall.Listener < ReqT > interceptCall(
    final ServerCall < ReqT, RespT > call,
    final Metadata requestHeaders,
    final ServerCallHandler < ReqT, RespT > next) {
    return new SimpleForwardingServerCallListener < > (next.startCall(grpcServerCall, requestHeaders)) {
      public void onMessage(final ReqT message) {
        try {
          // do something
          super.onMessage(message);
        } catch (Exception e) {
          handleException(ex);
          throw ex;
        }
      }
      // Similiar logic for onReady(), onHalfClose(), onComplete(),
      // where in a try .. catch handleException() & throw ex
      private void handleException(final Exception exception) {
        if (exception instance of StatusRunTimeException statusException) {
          val metadata =
statusException.getTrailers();
          log.error("Request failed with metadata={}", metadata, statusException);
          call.close(statusException.getStatus(), ObjectUtils.defaultIfNull(metadata, new Metadata()));
          return;
        }
        call.close(Status.UNKNOWN.withDescription(exception.getMessage()), requestHeaders);
      }
    }
  }
}

Debraj

Apr 19, 2024, 9:12:52 AMApr 19
to grpc.io
For more context, I am using gRPC 1.55.1. We are calling gRPC services like below

gRPC1 --> gRCP2 -> HttpServer

If the HttpServer is not available then from gRPC2 server Status.UNAVAILABLE error is thrown with some Metadata as shown below. But we are observing that sometimes the Metadata is not coming to gRPC1. It does not happen always. Most of the time gRPC1 receives the Status.UNAVAILABLE along with the Metadata. Can someone let me know if there are some known issues with gRPC 1.55.1 or it could be due to responseObserver.onError() not done in a try-catch in the gRPC server's purge() method as suggested by Eric in this thread.

gRPC2
-----------

public void purge(
      final PurgeRequest request, final StreamObserver<PurgeResponse> responseObserver) {
      validator.validate(request);
      responseObserver.onNext(service.purge(request));
      responseObserver.onCompleted();
  }

class Service {
    void purge() {
        try {
            // http call
        } catch(Http Service Not available) {
            var metadata = new Metadata();
            // Add some data in metadata
            throw new StatusRunTimeException(Status.UNAVAILABLE, metadata);
        }
    }
}

Eric Anderson

Apr 23, 2024, 1:34:59 PMApr 23
to Debraj, grpc.io
On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 9:23 AM Debraj <subhara...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did not quite understand the statement - "It will respond with Status.UNKNOWN and interceptors might get confused" .

Let's say I do not have the try - catch in the purge() method and I have a ServerInterceptor like below.

If you really want to throw and for it to be propagated, use TransmitStatusRuntimeExceptionInterceptor. It has to be carefully placed in the interceptor chain to work well. But we generally discourage using it because it can make understanding errors difficult.

          handleException(ex);
          throw ex;

This calls call.close() and throws an exception. That very well might be racy. If you handle the exception (by calling close), don't re-throw the exception. gRPC ignores the exception's contents and always uses UNKNOWN when processing it.

If the HttpServer is not available then from gRPC2 server Status.UNAVAILABLE error is thrown with some Metadata as shown below. But we are observing that sometimes the Metadata is not coming to gRPC1. It does not happen always.

If you get UNAVAILABLE without the Metadata you expect, then that was probably a failure between gRPC1 → gRPC2. If the problem is caused by throwing an exception, you'd see UNKNOWN instead. In either case, the status description tells you a lot about what is going on, so if you want us to tell you why something is happening, you need to give us the full status.