Using gRPC on localhost

Dimitris Servis

Jan 21, 2024, 6:27:58 PMJan 21
to grpc.io

I want to use gRPC for IPC, on localhost, using C++, in particular for Windows machines. I would like to avoid using https, and I wonder whether the non-secure http poses any threat. I would like to use the UDS solution but this is only supported in C# and not C++. I could use C# and CLI to provide the functionality to C++, but I have a blocker with the C# version.

So I am left with the option to either use https or implement something myself. However this is becoming unchartered territory for me. I would therefore like to ask, what do people think are my options?

I tried to find a way to implement a transport layer using e.g. pipes only for Windows as a plugin, but documentation is scarce...

AJ Heller

Jan 30, 2024, 1:23:10 PMJan 30
to grpc.io
Hi Dimitris,

AF_UNIX support is being added to Windows platforms, you can follow the work here: https://github.com/grpc/grpc/pull/34801

Best,
-aj

AJ Heller

Jan 30, 2024, 1:24:54 PMJan 30
to grpc.io
Sorry, to clarify, the gRPC C/C++ library is getting support for unix sockets on Windows. As you pointed out, other languages/libraries/platforms already have that support.

Dimitris Servis

Jan 30, 2024, 2:39:57 PMJan 30
to grpc.io
Thanks a lot AJ! This is great news!