Minimum and recommended pod requirements

Ankur Chauhan

Sep 27, 2017, 3:51:04 AM9/27/17
to grpc.io
Hi

I'm running a grpc-java application in a kubernetes cluster on gke. This application listens for request from the user, reads google cloud bigtable over grpc using the official bigtable client and trouble with the rows scanned with some simple parsing. It seems like whenever I run the server process on my laptop with 8 cores and 4gb heap everything is really fast but on the kubernetes cluster with resource sizes at 4 GB and 2 cores I consistently see very high latencies in addition to long pauses in RPC.

Is there any guidance on what size pods I should run a grpc container. What should I look for in terms of monitoring?

Kun Zhang

Sep 28, 2017, 7:20:50 PM9/28/17
to grpc.io
What's the memory and CPU usage when running on kubernetes compared with on your laptop?
Are they running at the same QPS in both environments?