Async client with sync server

Akeel Laila

Oct 14, 2021, 7:41:48 PM10/14/21
to grpc.io
Hi,

My understanding is that even with the default sync server, the server is multi-threaded, and so can handle multiple rpcs in parallel (i.e. server can receive and handle an rpc while it is in the middle of handling some other rpc).

I also read about async client and async server implementations at https://grpc.io/docs/languages/cpp/async/

My question is:
Is it possible to have an async client while the server remains 'sync'. This could be handy for a use case where I don't want clients to be blocked while waiting for an rpc to complete, but at the same time I am satisfied with the default multithreading capability provided in the sync server implementation.

Thanks
Akeel Laila

Akeel Laila

Dec 9, 2021, 4:05:53 PM12/9/21
to grpc.io
Been almost 2 months since I posted this. Anyone have an answer to this question?

Thanks
Akeel Laila

Christian Rivasseau

Dec 10, 2021, 3:53:04 AM12/10/21
to Akeel Laila, grpc.io
Hey Akeel,

Yes you can call a sync server with an async client and vice versa,

The influencer marketing platform for lifestyle brands
CHRISTIAN RIVASSEAU
CTO
+33 6 67 35 26 74
lefty.io LinkedIn