Future of github.com/grpc-ecosystem/grpc-opentracing/go/otgrpc?

Tom Wilkie

Nov 11, 2018, 6:21:35 AM11/11/18
to opent...@googlegroups.com, grp...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Boreham
Hello!

(I'm not that familiar with the situation and couldn't find any previous discussion of this, sorry if its already been covered.  This email is cross posted to both the opentracing and grpc groups.)

github.com/grpc-ecosystem/grpc-opentracing/go/otgrpc seems to have been forked to github.com/opentracing-contrib/go-grpc, and there now seems to be more activity on the fork than on the original.  This is based on a very small sample size though...

Its confusing to users to have two copies of the code, so should be either (a) recognise the fork as the now "official" home, and at least add something to the README to direct users here or (b) perhaps invite the maintainer of the fork to the original repo so we can move it along, and close the fork?

Either repo seems a reasonable home to me.  For reference, here is the discussion that triggered this email: https://github.com/cortexproject/cortex/pull/1113

Thanks

Tom

Carl Mastrangelo

Nov 14, 2018, 11:43:36 AM11/14/18
to grpc.io
Maybe you can ping the author on GitHub?  I'm not sure myself, but you're right there should not be two copies.

Benjamin Krämer

Nov 19, 2018, 3:43:07 AM11/19/18
to grpc.io
Hi Tom,

https://github.com/grpc-ecosystem/grpc-opentracing is not maintained anymore. So please use https://opentracing.io/ as main source. This will forward you to https://github.com/opentracing-contrib/ (that you already found). There we maintain all of the OpenTracing related contributions, independant of gRPC or the frameworks. All repositories there follow the structure <language>-<framework>.

I'm with you that this is confusing, and there already is a PR for this at https://github.com/grpc-ecosystem/grpc-opentracing/pull/43 which was not merged since May 2018... I also left some messages at the locations that I found. I hope this will be cleared soon so that others don't have to stumple over it.

Best regards,
Benjamin

Tom Wilkie

Nov 19, 2018, 8:22:04 AM11/19/18