gRPC 1.0.1-pre packages for implementations that wrap the C runtime are now available for testing!

kail...@google.com

Oct 13, 2016, 8:18:24 PM10/13/16
to grpc.io

Hi Everyone,

We are close to  the 1.0.1 patch release for implementations that wrap the grpc C runtime. We have published pre-packages into the usual repositories.

Please give these a try and report any issues via our issue trackers on github, it will help ensure that our 1.0.1 release works well for you. This is a PATCH release and as such, only contains bug fixes.

The 1.0.1 PATCH release for Java has already been released (notes).

Issue tracker:

https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues

Notes on installation:

Python:

pip install --pre grpcio

pip install --pre  grpcio-tools

Ruby:

gem install grpc --pre

gem install grpc-tools --pre

Node,js:

npm install grpc

npm install grpc-tools

PHP:

[sudo] pecl install grpc-beta

gem install ronn rake

git clone https://github.com/stanley-cheung/Protobuf-PHP

cd Protobuf-PHP

rake pear:package version=1.0

[sudo] pear install Protobuf-1.0.tgz

C#:

  • Open Visual Studio / MonoDevelop / Xamarin Studio and start a new project/solution.

    • Note that if you’re using an older version of MonoDevelop or Xamarin Studio (or even VS2013, if your nuget client isn’t up to date), you may need to install grpc and its dependencies via the command line nuget. See pre-req, download, and build sections of http://www.grpc.io/docs/quickstart/csharp.html

  • Grpc.1.0.1-pre1 is now compatible with netstandard1.5. If you’re using the dotnet cli, and targeting a netstandard-1.5 compatible .NET framework like .NET Core in a project.json file, then you can add grpc-1.0.1-pre1 as a dependency and restore it with ‘dotnet restore’ (you can still target .NET 4.5 framework and use grpc in this way). See https://github.com/grpc/grpc/tree/master/examples/csharp/helloworld-from-cli for an example that targets the .NET 4.5 framework.

  • Add the Grpc NuGet package as a dependency (Project options -> Manage NuGet Packages).

  • To be able to generate code from Protocol Buffer (.proto) file definitions, add the Grpc.Tools NuGet package that contains Protocol Buffers compiler (protoc) and the gRPC protoc plugin.

  • Make sure to “show prerelease packages”.

    • Or provide the -Prerelease flag to ‘nuget install’ if using the command line.

Thanks!
Kailash on behalf of the gRPC Team